What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XXXIII...

Part XXXIII...

Susan, looking lovely in her nightgown, in comfortable chair in the library of the old residence, reading "Dracula" by light of a tall lamp.

"This is quite a book, though a little tough getting through with all the old-style words and all." She notes, holding up book.

"This Harker guy is pretty brave, all alone there in Dracula's castle...Though something tells me it wasn't all bad what with that harem of vamp girls coming to him every night." Smile.

"You know that's the way Master Nandor told us he became a vampire...Some crazy Sultan caught him in a revolt and let a vampire working for him transform a harem...Sort of an ironic punishment, you know? Anyway, it's nice he's so eager to save his wife. I'm sure Jen Steinecke's Davy would be the same way." Shyly coy smile...

"Yeah, I kinda had a little crush on Davy before I became Master Nandor's slave and familiar. Not that I ever did anything about it. He's solid on Jen and Jen is my best friend, an amazing woman really, even if she's a little...Or maybe was a little, before Master Laszlo...Full of herself? I mean, that's a little harsh, she's always been so nice...But she kinda was, just a little at times, and don't get me wrong..." hand raise... "I've been that way myself...You know, you have to be aware of your positives sometimes in this world. We're both good-looking, in a classy way, if I may say so, with brains and all that with a little work can really open doors. Though Jen really has it all together. The manner, the brains, and God knows, the looks...But also something more, which I hope I have a little of...Real class, meaning she really makes people feel she cares 'cause she really does. You can't fake that. And it's the difference between being practically a whore...Sorry...And that goes for the guys too...Who could spend their whole lives shilling everything including themselves and get nowhere...And someone who could be really somebody one day and deserves to be, 'cause whatever they do to get there, they are fundamentally good and decent people who care." Shrug.

"It's the getting there that's the problem...Especially if you're not born to it. I know it shouldn't be that way but you can't ignore how the world is, just try to keep in bounds, you know?  Go the distance, put it out there a bit and all, without overdoing?  I know...God do I...In our business, sometimes you kinda hafta push a little but I don't know...  I know it doesn't mean anything really, not fundamentally. But, I'd be hurt...And have been, believe me...If my guy, especially a husband...Was occasionally 'getting a little', even if it was just for business. Maybe especially if it was for business, like it didn't matter.  And I can't help thinking while I get she's doing it for him and Suzette, Jen takes too many chances with a great guy like David. But, it's not my business and I cast no stones." She shakes head. "I can't say I've never gotten involved with a client, though I hope I always liked the guy and never when I was with anyone serious. But I don't wanna be a cat. Jen's a great girl and always been like a mentor to me and I really believe anything she's done she did for her family and her career." Sigh.

"I guess we're all a little jealous of her...At the office...She's always been the top producer and apple of Ginny's eye, you know?  And somehow, even before her enthrallment, she's never been ruffled or bothered or anxious...Just does what needs to be done and gets it done. Even Ginny hasn't got her degree of cool and her poise. I guess it's the French or something.  And I guess you fellas know, every guy who meets her falls for her, at least a little." wan smile.  

"Yeah, one or two of mine...But she's never done anything and they weren't serious.  She's not that kind." nod.

 "Really, it's to her credit she took a guy who didn't come from money and while David's a great guy, fine scientist type and provider and all, she could easily have done much better that way if she'd wanted.  And she didn't have it easy, there wasn't money in her family, she had to get out and hustle, especially after her mom died and her grandmother was in the hospital with cancer.  I've been there myself, though not quite so tough."