What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part LXIII...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part LXIII...

"Well, Susan..." Roderigo, expansively, to Susan across the large dining room table, in a rather impressive dining hall, complete with works hung on the walls including tapestries from Spain before the Aztec conquest to works by Rivera and Kahlo and at least one French Impressionist...A massive and beautifully carved sideboard against one wall...A large and beautiful rose marble fireplace on the other... "What do you think of the place here?"

"Not bad on a nurse's salary..." she smiled. Mrs. Afanas and Dr. Acura across the table likewise smiling...

Indeed...

Guillermo pondering...

You don't suppose the family fortune didn't come from just a couple of old silver and copper mines, cattle ranching and farming avocados and other cash crops, but from Vampire Hunting?

Dusted vampires, empty houses...Usually big ones from the ones I've met and work for...Stuff in those houses, usually old stuff...

Picturing young Rosa and Cicely Afanas hauling loads to old 1930s trucks from a huge castle rather of the Hollywood horror film variety...

"Ha, ha, ha...Yes, indeed...But it's been passed down, for generations, along with a nice little fortune, the bulk going to maintain the estate as a family trust. Guillermo will be a co-owner, you should know. Along with his share of the divided remainder...He ought to make out well..."

"So, I'd be marrying him for his money?" she grinned.

"Roderigo..." Guillermo sighed.

"Just making the case for you, cuz..." Roderigo grinned. "Never hurts for the girl in question to know you can provide. Though Guillermo has always been a steady worker and a good one." Roderigo, fond beam to Guillermo. "You couldn't do better, Susan, honestly."

"I know...I just have to persuade him of that." She nodded, fond smile at Guillermo who fidgeted a bit.

"But we're embarrassing him..." she noted. "Lets leave it at...I'm sold, great job..." she smiled at Roderigo.

"Well then don't lets waste time. Nothing would please Auntie more than to know the next event here will be a grand wedding." Roderigo smiled.

"One thing at a time, Roderigo." Guillermo sighed.

"Sure...But don't let the grass go, cousin. Time isn't on our side and ladies like Miss Sue here don't grow on trees."

"I know...I'll keep all that in mind."

"Thanks, love." Susan beamed, winking at Roderigo... "He gets so busy sometimes I think he forgets...But I'm willin' to hang around on the tree above him till he's ready." fond smile.

Guillermo blushing a bit now...

"Good enough..." Roderigo nodded. Munching on his burger...As Guillermo relaxed a hair... "How's the food?" Roderigo asked Susan...

"It's wonderful..." she shook head. "I could live on this for sure..."

"The real Mexica stuff..." he smiled, indicating her plate. "But as you can see..." he waved his burger... "I like to get away from the traditional myself sometimes. Doctor? Mrs. Afanas? Everything to your liking?"

"It's excellent, my boy." Dr. Acura nodded, "Though I've had Rosa's own and that's something extraordinary."

"She's a wonder in the kitchen...Right, Guillermo?" nod. Guillermo, nodding.