What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XVI...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XVI...

4:30 pm, Sunday...The community manor...

"You really don't have to help with this today, Jen." Guillermo sighs to Jen as she lifts the other end of a large tarpaulin-covered object exactly the size of a human body, Jen in an old shirt and jeans she'd brought with her.

"It's silly for you to strain yourself when I'm here to help, Gui. I expected to be crawling round the place getting a look at the heating system and how bad that rat problem is...It's fine. I got this end, ready? Ok, lift!"

"You do that for your other clients too?" he eyes her as they lug the object down to the rear gate for disposal as "special" trash.

"Well...Not usually. Especially regards checking for rats myself, I usually get an exterminator..." slight grimace. "But if it's needed I'm always ready to go the distance...And I always have to be ready to muck around a place to see what's needed. Really, it's no problem." she beams. "I've had to do some stuff to get a deal set that makes this..." Ummn...She eyes the blood oozing from a loose fold.

"I'll get that after we set this down outside." Guillermo notes, both eyeing the bloody puddle. "And I'll get another bag from the kitchen to wrap around there."

"Let me do that, you've been running around too much on that leg cast." Jen insists. "Lets just get this out for pickup." she shook her end slightly.

Setting it down just outside the back gate, Jen regards the tarpaulin. "Gui? Do you ever say anything?"

"What?"

"Well, I mean..." she shrugs, indicating the object on ground.. "It was somebody once. It could have been either of us."

"Do we really have to talk about that?" he looks about a bit nervously. "I mean, it's just the 'circle of life' and all. We eat things, we get eaten, but I kinda prefer not to think about it."

"Sorry. It's just...Sunday and all."

"Oh. Are you religious?"

"Ummn...Not so much...Kinda Catholicish a bit...I was raised in it."

"Sorry. Say I was raised Catholic too. I've kinda moved away from it, now." he eyes the tarpaulin.

"Sure. I guess me too. Still...It might be nice, since they did the Master and his friends a service..." she gives winsome look. "Maybe just a 'thanks and hope you find the afterlife nice'?"

He regards her vaguely stricken face... "Uh, sure...I suppose it would be respectful. No problem."

"Ok..." she beams, moving before the object on grass now. He coming to join her.

"Hi. We just wanted to thank you for helping our masters and mistress." Jen notes. "Gui?"

"Uh...Sure. Hey, thanks. Hope the afterlife is nice for you." he nods to the tarpaulin.

"Thanks, Gui." Jen pats him. "Let me go get a bag and some paper towels and Windex."

"And salt and water? They say salt gets that out of anything..." Guillermo notes.

Wow...He eyes camera after Jen has gone up steps after closing outer gate. "Kinda weird there. But she's very sweet to want to do that, right? Just...Makes me feel a little...Odd. I hope we don't have to do that again." he eyes tarpaulin on grass. "Still I guess it was nice. Respectful, you know?"

...

"I got it!" Jen calls as doorbell buzzes. She opens front door to reveal the lovely fortyish brunette Ginny Zeller, well-made up, in business suit, a sachel on her arm.