What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XL...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XL...

The old residence...Living (more or less, at least currently a balance of the Living and Undead present) room conference...

"So lets be methodical about this..." Laszlo, seated on sofa next to Nadja, nervously holding his hand, urges. "Jen?"

"Ready, Master." Seated, she raises hand above laptop keys...

"Van Helsing has manifested twice to our knowledge...Once on the new residence's grounds, once here...Right here." Laszlo sighs.

"With stake, however illusionary..." Nadja, shuddering a bit.

"And he seems concerned about our lady friends..." Nandor points out.

"Indeed. I think we have to assume we are his 'foul minions of Hell'." Laszlo agrees.

"That's so wrong..." Jen sighs. "Never, Master!" Erika insists.

"No way..." Jacqueline in her chair, feebly...Taking another swig of water.

"The guy is crazy." Ginny shakes head. "Why can't he leave us alone? We've never been more content than in your service, my Lady...My Lords."

"Well, I hope we are good employers..." Laszlo nods.

"None better...!" Erika, stridently. "This man must leave us be!"

"But there is the question of these mysterious appearances in mirrors..." Nandor notes. "Laszlo, you have seen yourself in the camera crew's mirror?"

"And our friends with me...Right, gents?" Laszlo eyes the camera.

"And a few of us saw Erika, pleading..." Nandor ponders.

"It could not have been me...Yet...It did seem like me." Erika shaking head. "I swear Master..." pleadingly to Laszlo... "I never..." He putting up hand kindly.

"Of course, dear...I have absolute faith in you."

"If Mr. Devious is trying something...An illusion to fool us?" Ginny suggests.

"Simon is cute with his tricks and devious but not this good." Nadja shakes head. "Even if he knew which of your firm's people we'd taken or just assumed you were all in our grip, how could he pull off such an elaborate deception?"

"I agree with Mistress Nadja..." Jen nods. "I doubt he's involved here."

"Master?" she eyes Laszlo nervously. "Is it at possible...? Not wishing to hurt your feelings or suggest anything terrible...But could something in enthralled people...Cry out, like Erika's image did?"

"No!" Erika, angrily. "I love the Master as much as you, Jennifer! How dare you suggest I might...Some part of me might...Seek escape!"

"It could be me too, Erika." Jen notes. "The Professor came to me first, after all."

"But Laszlo...?" Nadja, anxiously. "If you were also involved in these images..." slight trembling...

"Dear, no...No..." he pats her hand. "I've no regrets whatsoever...None."

"You can't speak for your soul, Laszlo..." she sighs. "Somewhere, buried within..."

"Nadja, my dearest...Never..."

"When I took you, you were horrified...You tried to escape me for a moment, soon as you turned and were released from thrall. Said I'd condemned you..."