What We Do In the Shadows: "Jen..." Part LXIV...

What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..."

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part LXIV...

"So, Fred, you see...I don't want to show my hand in this. But I need to know what Devious is up to, particularly with this move on Staten Island real estate..." Ginny on desk phone pauses. "...And I knew you'd want to know if he's planning to break into the club scene there."

"That rat bastard..." angry male voice from speaker. "We agreed when I let him take the place on 34th that he'd leave Staten to indies. Yeah, you bet I wanna know what he's up to..." slight pause. "But he does play rough...You sure these guys are good?"

"Frankie Uberwood? The best. He's the former State Prison Commissioner, you know."

"Yeah, caught with his hand in the till, I heard. But he knows the ins and outs. All right, I'll hire them and we'll split on costs but I don't want anything coming back on me. If they spill me, I'll give him your name, girl."

"That's only fair...It's a deal, thanks Fred. We need to keep a watch on this one."

"I knew I couldn't trust him. But after Joey V disappeared and they said 'ask Devious', I figured he must have Mob connections, good ones. Look, Ginny...I know you've dealt with the sob before but be careful. He's a crazy m-fer."

"I know, I will. Thanks again, Fred. Send me the report and the bill."

"Ok, thanks for letting me know. Bye, honey." She pressed button. "Martha? Hold my calls for five, then let 'em through."

Ginny settling back in chair, a slightly weary-looking Jen in seat across desk eyeing her.

"So, we have our surveillance...Though Fred will give you away if Simon catches anyone?"

"Only if they talk...And Fred's smart enough to be sure to have the hiring anonymous. He was really saying, if Simon guesses it might be him...But I think Simon would suspect me first, anyway."

"Well..." Jen grimaced. "Lets hope they're as good as they seem."

"Yeah...Well, we still gotta business to run, partner." Ginny grins. "We don't want anyone thinking we're slacking off too much."

"I'm off to check Stafford St. at ten. I think it's a great property."

"That's my girl...Say, is there any word on the Boss and Sue? I tried calling last night and at 8 this morning but I guess they're occupied." Sly smile.

"Ginny...You know Gui's not that type. He'd never."

"He wouldn't...But Sue..." wider smile, Jen mock-pouting a bit, then smiling...Yeah, Sue might.

"Poor kid, he's gotta get over being embarrassed about us." Ginny shakes head. "It's not his fault and I'm sure I'd never blame him." She eyes Jen a moment... "You think?"

Shrug from Jen... "Gin, how can we say, now? We're not the people we were a couple of weeks ago. We might feel differently if we ever...You know...Came out of it?" sheepish look.

"I can't imagine. Honestly, Jen...I can't imagine going back, losing my connection to them, to Lady Nadja." Ginny, a bit bleakly. "I think I'd die. I'd want to."

"Well...I haven't heard from Gui or Sue, but the aunt was very ill." Jen notes. "I'm sure they're ok."

"It bothers me that guy who came to the Residence is hanging around them...And what's Mrs. Afanas doing there?" Ginny frowns.

"Well, she's friends with the aunt, Sue said. And wife to the...Or Barren. And she did help save our fellas before."

"Yeah." Ginny ponders. "I wish though we could speak with her. Or at least had heard from Guillermo. This worries me..." shake of head. "I'm sure our Overlady and Lords would say if they'd planned something but what if Gui's down there for more than his aunt, just Sue backing him up, in something he cooked up? Maybe with Mrs. Afanas if she really is on our side. Did you find out anything more this morning on that Dr. Acura?"