What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part C...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part C...

Laszlo to camera, standing with his new and old human mates, Rick, Ginny's history prof boyfriend, David, Jen's husband, and Shaun...Shaunny!...And Ginny's daughter, Jacqueta...

"Well, quite an evening..." he beams. "You fellas...And Miss, bow of acknowledgement to the camerawoman...Having a good time? You did get to the table for some wine and food? Good, good. Now, this is what I call a reception. Oh, let me introduce you to my new mates...Richard, New York University History Department's finest..." Rick, in Colonial officer's uniform, raising wine glass. "And Dr., nee Captain, David Chu, our dear Jennifer's husband, equally gifted in his knowledge of History and Science..." David, in his ancient Chinese uniform, mock bow... "And our Ginny's brilliant young Jackie Zeller..." Jacqueta, grinning nod... "And, last but not least, my ole pal Shaunny!" Shaun, raising beer glass.

"We have been having the most fascinating discussion on Chinese history as it relates to these former Colonies. By the way, Rick..." Laszlo turning to him. "As a should-be British peer, I officially forgive you, your Rebellion." Rick, formal bow... "Hell, Britain deserved to lose you, morons...Or, if I may, being a citizen of this fair and wonderful land for some time now, lose us. Cheers, mates!" Raising glass of what one might assume to be red wine, though a rather thick version. "Just a mo, folks whilst I review the filming of our little opus with my pals here." He waves the camera crew over to a more isolated spot...

"So, I hear Nandor and his ole pal...'Dr. Acura' have been hard at it in the basement over a re-enactment of one of their ole battles. And young Miss Acura is with them?" he eyes camera. "Any word on how that might be going? Just in the interests of tonight's truce and my Nadja's safety. I know Dracula is a gentleman who can be counted on to keep his word, but in the heat of gaming men sometimes forget where their best interests lie... So? Any chance you could...Without breaking that precious fourth wall too badly, naturally? Thanks, fellas." Beam.

Nods... "Your folks below say things seem to be going well. Great. Thanks, Geoffrey..." he nods to the director who'd made a quick cell call. "She did? Won the battle, did she? Well, she is the Slayer. Just so long as it's a play battle. Well, that's good." Glancing about...

"Our evacuation plan proceeds...This enchanting reception being perfect cover...And kudos to Nandor for a fine job of keeping things cool with his old frienemy, Dracula and Dracula's adopted daughter." Pauses.

"How'd he manage that, I wonder? I thought they were rather strict about such things these days...I know when Nadja and I tried to adopt some young girls for an orgy/feast, Colin told us the review process would at best take until the girls were long past virginity and given our somewhat questionable records might well fail. Of course, in my day...And up to, I'd say, nearly the turn of this last century...Or the one before...You just scooped up a kid and claimed him or her as your own and that was that, the local county or shire was glad to have the kid off its rolls and asked no questions if you worked them to death or anything else. Well, it must be nice for him, I imagine it's been a lonely time, especially since his Redemption. Though he does have his sister with him again. Oh, by the way...George? Any luck with the research on optics and our souls? No? Well, I'll discuss it with David shortly, we were just about to move on to the 'supernatural'." Mock widening of eyes, wiggling of fingers.

"Naturally in my role as Laszlo Cravensworth, conservative human businessperson, with yet a sense of curiosity and wonder about things outside his conservative sphere, I must express a bit of disdain for overenthusiasm about things 'supernatural'." Mock widening of eyes, wiggling of fingers. "But I expect it will be a fascinating discussion. David is a most charming fellow, I can well see why Jen took to him, even if, rather like me, she has 'looked about' as one might say."