Chapter 2 - Bet

SETH

"5 bucks, she." Sade bet when we reached the second floor.

We stood in front of the door with a white laminated piece of paper hanging from the principal's office.

I gave her a sideways glance and said confidently. "Deal."

She nods, ordering me to open it. I rolled my eyes and reached for the doorknob, but before I could turn it, I felt a faint vibration behind me.

"Your phone," she said, annoyed.

I grinned when I saw who was calling.

"Who?" she asked curiously while facing me fully.

I answered the call, ignoring her question.

"Tierez," I greeted in monotone.

Sade huffed, knowing who it was. She looked at me blankly while pouting. If looks can kill, I am receiving guns and salutes right now.

"How are my demons?" dad inquired.

I glanced at Sade. "Running amok."

He laughed a little and seriously asked. "How many casualties?"

"For now, no one is injured, property is intact, and authorities are still unaware, but I sensed some lingering intent of homicide and a gun pointing at me."

Sade gritted her teeth after I said that.

"Evade quickly, look for an opening, and twist the hand," he instructed. "Wrong move, you lose," he continued.

"Got it."

"What's her sitrep?" he asked again, referring to Sade.

I faced her and voiced out dad's question. "Your sitrep."

She huffed again. I put my phone towards her, and she answered in a clipped voice. "Classified."

Dad and I chuckled.

He cleared his throat and continued the conversation. "She's bored. Listen, I want you two to behave. It's high school-remember, you're there to study. No more games nor betting up your money on each other."

"Noted," I answered nonchalantly.

He knowingly hummed. "Now." Here goes the real advice. His voice was so firm and authoritative, like he was commanding his troupe, ready to breach.

It is totally different from his tone earlier.

I composed myself and listened carefully.

"I want you to always watch each other's six- always check the perimeter. One mistake is not acceptable."

"Understood."

"What's your position?" he asked again, wanting to know what we were doing now.

"I am currently standing in front of the principal's office," I answered, smirking while earning a scowl from Sade, who's now leaning on the wall.

He hummed. "Give her 5 bucks, you lost."

I was taken aback. "It's a she?"

Hearing my question and my face of disbelief, Sade shot me a win-win smile. She opened her palm while giving me a boastful look.

I heard some laughing on the other side of the phone. Dad already knew we bet on each other then, and he already knew that the principal was a female.

It seems like I lost this time.

"Don't forget their girl instincts," he reminded.

I groaned. "How did you know?"

"The bet or the gender?"

"Gender." I took some cash out of my pocket and gave it to Sade, who is now smiling from ear to ear.

She's smiling not because she has my money, but because she's proving her guesses were better than mine.

I hear some tapping of pencils on the desk. He's in the office then.

"Just because your mother chose that school doesn't mean I cannot clear the area and secure your safety there."

"Right," I replied dejectedly.

"Pass the phone."

I gave the phone to Sade. She took it abruptly.

"How eager."

She only grinned. "Sir," she giggled and said after listening to the other line. "Affirmative," followed by her long sigh. "Not ready to breach, but the connecting elements are on hold for attack position."

I suppose if someone overhears their conversations, they might think we're some kind of undercover agent or something.

But they can't blame us.

Our dad raised and taught us to be like this. It's normal for us to mix military terms in our daily exchange.

I surveyed the building and was amazed when I saw several cameras in every column. Every angle is unobstructed. No one can pass this place without registering their face in the line of security. Every projection is viewed.

Well, credit goes to this school for being tight and strict.

I was interrupted from surveying my surroundings when I felt a smack on my left shoulder blade. Sade gave me a cold stare before handing me the phone.

"Order."

It sunk in to me in a few seconds before I put the phone in my ear. "Sir."

Dad paused for a second to collect his words and wait for my full attention. "Remember, your mission is to study."

"Understood."

He ended the call, but not before reminding me for the last time. "I'm counting on you two."

PLAGIARISM IS A CRIME!