Chapter 31 - Career Day Part. 1

KNOX

15 minutes before 10:00 a.m..

It was supposed to be a normal Friday today, but looking at the twins' faces, it seems that something is about to happen just around the corner in a matter of time.

They're on pins and needles, and that made me question my sensibility.

"Five minutes, and I won't be accepting your activities," Ms. McCracken announced, and that sent me and Hayden to snap our heads where the twins were.

Sade is sitting beside me, while Seth is sitting to her right with Tania.

They're not done with the activity, and that something is not really like them.

From this distance, I can feel their anxiety and lack of attention. They look so disturbed. I already asked Sade if she was okay earlier, but she only gave me this blank stare and a reluctant nod.

So I know there's something that's keeping them thinking elsewhere.

Despite the fact that they are not yet finished with the activity, they appear relaxed and unconcerned.

They are typing here and there, but not that focused. They move so slowly, like everything is transitioning in slow motion. That's why it takes somewhat longer for them to finish our activity for today.

What is really happening to them?

"Three minutes!" Ms. McCracken announced again while tapping her pen on the table.

I leaned closer to Sade, and thankfully, she was already sending her work to Seth.

"Done?"

Seth didn't answer immediately, like Hayden's question, which took time before he comprehended. "Si."

"Same," Sade said simply as she flipped her laptop down.

Hayden glanced at me, clearly noticing their unusual movements. I gave him a shrug since I really don't know why they act that way.

Does yesterday's incident affect them?

Well, they looked aloof when Sade bumped into the new guard. We didn't hear what they'd been talking about, but from the looks on their faces, something was bothering them.

Did they learn about something they're not supposed to know about?

Or are they doing that speculative and guessing game again?

Every time I tried to figure out what was going on in their heads, I came up empty-handed.

"Times up!" Ms. McCracken happily exclaimed.

She put her things away and dismissed us.

"PE is next," Alicia cheerfully stated.

We grabbed our own laptops and began to walk out of the class. Again, the twins just stood up robotically and ignored Damien's scrutinizing look.

I exhaled tiredly, and we followed them out. Hayden suddenly tapped me. "Knox."

"Yeah?" I asked, but I already knew what he was going to say.

He first stared at the twins ahead before formulating his question. "What's wrong with them?"

I sighed helplessly. "I don't know; it's not like them."

He sighed too and worriedly stated: "Maybe something happened last night."

"Maybe."

We shared a defeated look and followed them into the hall. We watched them as they kept looking around.