Chapter 15 - Bookworms

SADE

"Fourteen and fifteen." I counted lazily when two guys quietly entered the library.

They first went to the library and enlisted their names in the attendance monitoring journal before looking for available seats.

From their postures, I guess they are just here to kill time by sitting and waiting.

Of course, the library is the best place for relaxation.

"You sure count a lot," Knox commented, sitting across from me.

His books and blank papers are tucked near his bag on the table, waiting to be opened for the pending tutorial.

"I do," I said while giving him an impatient look. "And for your information, it's been thirty minutes since physics ended; we've been waiting here for almost twenty minutes now for your student."

He guiltily fixed his eyeglasses and looked at me.

"She could be here any minute," he assured. "But I can come along if you want to go."

"And missed the fun?" I asked, looking at the door. "I'm fine," he said, brushing off his offer to let me leave.

He nodded, and that's when Remi excitedly came inside.

"And it's too late to back out now," I said, watching as she wrote her name on the desk.

Looking at where I was staring, Knox joined me in watching her move.

"Are we going to give her a middle finger salute or a mocking bow instead?" I joked, totally engrossed in analyzing her movements.

He chuckled as he shook his head. "You seem to hate her."

"I don't," I admitted, glancing at him for a second. "I hate waiting."

"I noticed," he hummed while staring at me, but I didn't remove my eyes from watching Remi talk with the librarian, trying to read her lips.

Ms. Schiener glanced at her wristwatch and muttered something that made Remi clap her hands happily.

"She is asking what time this library will close," I mumbled as she brushed her hair for the fourth time since she opened the door.

"Huh?" he asked, wondering.

I looked at him this time.

"I read her lips talking with the librarian." I smirked. "It seems like she wanted to spend more time with you, hm?"

He chuckled nervously. Redness crept up his cheeks, and he averted his eyes shyly.

"Here she comes now," I whispered, analyzing why she was late.

Before he could react, Remi strolled towards our table.

Oh, her face looks like it was retouched for a long time before she came here. Is she trying to look pretty?

Her lips are freshly applied with red lipstick, her eyelashes are batting shyly, and her face is coated with make-up.

"Hey Knox! Thanks for waiting!" she exclaimed, sitting beside him and not even acknowledging my presence.

I feel welcomed.

Knox looked at me apologetically, but I only smiled, unconcerned.

Noticing our shared looks, Remi lifts her eyebrows, eyeing me.

"So you're here too?" she asked warily.

I smirked. "Been here for about twenty minutes now."

She realizes that I am implying how late she was. "No one asked you to," she hissed, glaring.