Chapter 14 - Helping Hand

KNOX

Sade had been staring at her blank canvas for the past twenty minutes, so I asked her. "Need help?"

I've been contemplating asking her that, but I'm afraid she'll snap at me.

"Just kill me," she responded blankly.

From the look of her face, she is debating mentally whether she should walk out of this class and drag her twin or tear the canvas in helplessness.

"That bad?" I asked in concern.

I stood up and pulled my stool toward her. Most of our classmates are engrossed in working on their own paintings.

"Bad is an understatement; it's suicide," she huffed, looking at me dejectedly.

Earlier, as we walked into the class, Seth didn't waste any seconds talking with Mrs. Killia about how this class would be credited for them.

And like Sade had said, it's not necessary to give them an activity distinct from everyone else; it would be unfair.

They had no choice; they were introduced as part of the class and assigned to their respective seats. Although Mrs. Killia is a kind teacher, she didn't give them any way out.

She encouraged them to start practicing how to paint and to love art instead.

And as usual in this class, she let us start our activity for today. It's a minimalist painting, and that doesn't sit well with the twins.

Now, they're just stuck on their seats like statues, thinking about what Ms. Killia advised them.

'Anything will do.'

I haven't started mine, nor has Tania's, who is now talking with Seth in the adjacent row.

I've been watching Sade having a face-to-face battle with her canvas stand for several minutes now.

I was truly concerned for her wellbeing, so I asked her again. "Please tell me how I can help you."

I am actually not good at painting; I'll do just fine, but I didn't imagine that these two weren't joking when they said they sucked at it.

And from the way she bit her lower lips in concentration, I can tell she is having a hard time doing it.

She looked at me for a brief second before asking softly, "What are you planning to paint on yours?"

"A book, maybe?" I answered. "It's minimalist. I can add two stray colors highlighting the background, and it's done."

"Easy to say," she snorted while looking at me in annoyance.

I smiled, understanding where she was coming from.

"Do you mind if I help you then?"

Her eyes twinkled, and she scooted her stool to give me more space.

Okay, that's an invitation.

"Wet your brush," I instructed her.

She robotically did what I said and looked at me in anticipation.

"Now, what do you have in mind?"

She flashed a smirk and said it proudly. "I will kill myself to escape this torture."

We both chuckled.

"Seriously?"

She shakes her head. "Anything?" she asked, staring at me.

"Anything to express yourself." I simply clarified. "Art is an expression."

"Express not to impress," she added, nodding to her own statement.