Chapter 38 - Flirting

KNOX

"I have a nerdy cousin who never delays our homework, but look at him now, staring at his phone for the past hour and ignoring his piles."

I gave her a deathly glare and a huff. "Look at you too, who changes your phone mode in case someone calls you."

She gasped loudly, causing her paper to fall to the floor. "I didn't!"

"Guilty," I teased, laughing at her red face. "Your phone usually vibrates from the incoming call, but when Grandma called earlier, it rang loudly."

"I-I happened to change it yesterday!" she stuttered while glaring back.

I only hum and go back to checking my phone. It's been almost a day without calls or texts from her.

What is she doing now?

I frustratedly removed my glasses and put them on the nightstand while sighing.

"You're helpless." Tania laughed loudly while watching me.

I rolled my eyes and threw my phone to the side, frustrated. "Fuck off."

She laughs even more, but I ignore her.

Earlier, at Hayden's dorm, we planned to wait for the twins' explanations and believe in them since we didn't know the reason why armored men were standing at their door.

The news was all over it; the incident was part of the headlines for the president's visit and the almost assassination.

Everyone is speculating about what exactly happened, despite General Tierez's assurance that everything is under control.

Some citizens ridiculed and blamed the security, while most of the people were happy that he was safe, though they felt bad for Mr. Tim's condition.

I hope he is fine now.

It was really an unexpected incident. The media saw it as a heroic move, but someone along the way said it had more story to tell.

One reporter concluded that it was a mishap, while others believe it is more serious.

However, General Tierez stated that everything would be answered after the investigation, and that immediately ended the speculation.

He talks like the twins, very composed and blank. I wonder how they talk to each other because he is so intimidating.

One glance can make you cower in fear.

When we walked towards our dorm, we noticed a lot of cars leaving the premises. We also saw several students fetched by their family services, with Ms. Gavin and Ms. M assisting them.

It seems like other parents are still scared of the safety here, so they want their children to go back home and spend their weekends with them.

No one can blame them, though.

My grandma and my mom called us earlier for assurance of our safety. We only told them not to worry because everything is fine now. Luckily, they didn't insist much and ended the call after a long scolding.

Suddenly, a familiar ringtone broke my line of thought. I took my phone, and the caller made me sit up abruptly.

My hands shake, and my heartbeats double from rereading the caller.

Luckily, I managed to answer it despite my shaking hands. Tania asked who it was, but I ignored her as the caller said a soft hello.

Her voice somewhat calms my racing heart and shaking hands. I know I'm acting weird, but I don't know why.