Chapter 30 - Speculations

SADE

Time flew by when you were least paying attention.

And today is proof of that; it's Thursday, and tomorrow is for me and my twin's most-awaited birthday!

Dad will be here, and we're planning to sneak out to see him.

Time flew by, and because we are accustomed to the never-ending cycle of being students, it has become torturous.

It's the school system—pass your classes, go to college—the end.

Honestly, I've been weighing my perspective now.

Homeschooling is a little bit more appealing than this.

It's lunchtime, and Ms. M cancelled the afternoon class because all seniors and some faculty staff are busy preparing for tomorrow, so no more classes for us today.

"Let's go!" Seth exclaimed when he reached our place.

I rolled my eyes. "We almost died of suspense."

We've been waiting for him and Tania here in the corridor for thirty minutes now. It seems like their philosophy teacher took his time very well.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Yang was reluctant to dismiss us." He apologized and clung to my arm.

Hayden and Knox chuckle as I smack him away. I irritatedly huffed when he wouldn't let go.

We are planning to eat our lunch in the dorm. The cafeteria's foods are not that good, and since we have no class later, we might as well use our free time together, right?

"Why didn't they cancel the classes for tomorrow?" Hayden asked curiously beside Alicia as we started walking down the hall.

"That's what I'm dying to ask too," I commented.

"We're not that totally affected by the gathering tomorrow, so there's no need to cancel the class," Knox answered truthfully.

I hummed sarcastically. "So we're affected now, but not tomorrow."

He softly laughed with Hayden before he answered me, "Sort of."

Suddenly, as we rounded the landing for the stairs, three guards walked in front of us. That caused the other students behind them to stop and make a way for them.

Seth grabbed me to the side, but I missed my footing. I stumble a little, and one guard assists my right to balance myself.

"Be careful," he said, not even looking at me.

It happened so fast that I didn't react immediately. I heard Knox and Seth asking me if I'm alright, but I stared at the man carefully.

"You're new," I mumbled after I went back to my senses.

He snapped his head at me, and I saw his face clearly. He looked shocked for a split second, but he tried to mask it with confidence and a smile.

"Hey Duncan!" the two familiar guards called from behind him.

He nodded anxiously, and they walked away, leaving me perplexed.

I watched the way he walked; he was very tense and in a rush, like he wanted to get away as fast as he could and as far away as possible.

His reaction.

Duncan.

"Sade."

I sighed and turned to Seth, who looked worried for my wellbeing just like Knox.

"Are you okay?" he asked while going closer to me as other students bypassed where I was rooted.