Chapter 48 - Time

SETH

"Water Break!"

I sighed when our coach announced that. I slumped my body on the sideline and threw my helmet on the ground.

It's already three in the afternoon and although the breeze of nearing winter is blowing, we are still sweating like pigs.

The practice today was extensive. Tomorrow will be the last game and our school won't give up the title so soon. Hayden told me that they won last year and coach Jeanch is planning for a back-to-back championship.

If we can but Damien is indeed a pain in the ass, our teamwork is somehow not the best way to win the game. I'm wondering how they defeated their opponent last year.

I admit he's a great player but his attitude is a low blow. He tends to be lazy when tired and it's not a good thing for our team. Although he and Hayden always bicker during practice but when it's time for the game he somehow becomes different.

Hence, why do Hayden and I call him Daman. Note the sarcasm.

Time passes by so suddenly. It's been a month since the second game and everything is transitioning as usual.

"Drained?" Hayden asked while jogging towards me.

He slumped on the ground and passed me a bottle of water.

I immediately uncapped it and drank it all in one go.

"Remind me again why I joined this team." I said after wiping the water dripping out of my mouth.

He chuckled while fixing his hair that had been sticking on his face. "Regretting and backing out now?"

"And miss the fun? No way." I said, staring ahead to watch our teammates resting on the ground too.

"You sound like Sade."

I smirked. "We're twins."

"Touché." he looked around the benches and asked. "Where are they, by the way? Their classes will be over by now."

I shrugged. "Might be dating."

He turned to face me. "Just ask Tania out, everyone knows that you like each other."

I laughed loudly, making my exhaustion leave my body.

Is he out of his mind?

"I just find it weird that we six are grouped together as common friends, time passes and all of us were partnered."

"Well, fate knows how to play too and it's not weird."

"For me, it is."

He grinned. "So that's why you're not asking her out?"

It's my turn to smirk. "It appears that you are mixing up different definitions of like, I just like her as a friend, not in the way that you like Ali or Sade to Knox."

"You seem to act like us, though."

"I care for her but not to the extent of wanting to form a romantic relationship." I clarified.

"Tell yourself that."

I ignore him and look around while watching our teammates laying on the ground like the world fell on their shoulders.

They are very tired, like me. Studying is more appealing than this.

"Helmet on boys!"

There went a series of groans when coach Jeanch exclaimed, he blew his whistle for a start disguised as torture.