Chapter 36 - Explanation

SETH

"Agent Kristan, my sincerest apology for calling you out of your investigation. You were called to bear witness as preferred by your siblings on this interrogation," the FBI Director instantly said when our brother entered the room, who is still wearing his black bullet-proof vest and a set of guns in his holster.

"My team is capable with or without me, but I'm glad to be part of this interrogation director," Stan replied blandly while standing tall and with his eyes straight.

It seems that the investigation is still ongoing.

"Indeed, it's sudden, but I firmly advise you to stay in your place and don't interrupt if not permitted," with conviction, the FBI Director recalled.

"Understood."

The FBI Director told him to sit down on the right, adjacent to us.

"Your siblings here wanted you to hear everything they'd say," he said while rubbing his temples.

Stan hummed in amusement. "Sorry for that; they have trust issues, sir."

Sade and I rolled our eyes. We are sitting here, gentlemen.

"I noticed," the FBI director said, looking amused while Hubert only gritted his teeth. "And I know you were once acquainted with Detective Hubert Fallon. He's handling the case."

Stan hummed professionally. "Been a year, Hubert. Great to see you," he said while grinning.

Hubert grinned back. "Indeed, black suits you well."

I furrowed my eyebrows. His last four words had a double meaning.

There's a beef going on-an interesting beef.

Stan only smirked nonchalantly, but there's no doubt he guessed it too. "So I've been told."

Hubert was about to speak again, but the FBI Director beat him to it. "Let's hear your side, then. Remember, every word that comes out of your mouth may or may not be used against you."

"Understood," Sade and I both said.

I glanced at her, leaving the explanation since she's good at clarifying her statements more than I am.

They stare at us while waiting for us to speak, especially Hubert, who looks like he is daring us to defend ourselves.

"Before we tell you what we know, let me prove our innocence first." Sade started after I signaled her to do the explanation.

The FBI director nodded encouragingly while Hubert scrunched his nose in disapproval.

And as usual, Stan only sat blankly. There's no doubt that he already guessed why we asked him for it.

Sade crossed her arms.

The NBI Director glanced at Hubert to see if there was any indication of disapproval, but since he didn't move for the question, the FBI Director hummed. "Proceed."

Sade smiled. "Sure thing," she said, looking at me and asking. "What was the detective's first claim?"

She leaned forward and stared straight at the FBI director.

"Knowing basic defense."

She hummed shortly and stated, "Well, our dad taught us because he wanted us to be like him, like Stan here, who is now an agent. Though, even though he didn't teach us basic defense, I will honestly ask him to, because why not? I don't want to be a damsel in distress. I want to protect myself and not wait for a knight in shining armor to save me. I'm not a princess," she said disgustingly, which somewhat brought a smile to Stan and the FBI Director's faces.