Chapter 28 - Punishment

SETH

I was about to move my bishop piece when something near us rang loudly, disturbing the peaceful—or, should I say, tense—night.

"Your phone," I said to Sade, who was busy drinking her carton of milk.

We are lying on the floor and playing chess, me against our brother, who lost to her from monopoly earlier, with my help, of course.

"Someone is calling you." Stan nudged her while wearing a big grin.

She snorted, still unmoving from her position. "In this hour?"

I glanced at the wall clock; it is close to midnight, so it's quite strange.

"Get it, and you'll know who." I moved my rook and exclaimed victoriously. "Check!"

"Yah, sure 'bout that?" Stan asked, smirking as he retreated from his king.

I huffed, but Sade's phone rang again for the second time.

"Answer your phone." I sneered, a little irritated by the sound, but she only sipped her milk lazily.

"It might be important; answer it." Stan ordered her too while staring at the board, waiting for my next move.

"It's far," she whined sleepily. Her phone is on the couch, just one meter away from us. What a lazy bum! "And who's in their right mind to call at this hour?"

"It might be Knox," I said nonchalantly.

She froze and even stopped sipping her milk. I smirked when she stood up immediately and threw the carton on the floor; that was her last cue.

Interesting.

"The reaction." Stan grinned while watching Sade stomp her foot. "I want to meet that guy."

I laughed loudly as she stopped and glared at him immensely; her phone stopped ringing too.

"You won't ever."

Stan hummed and leaned back when she finally picked up her phone.

We saw her widen her eyes, seeing the caller.

"Who?" I asked curiously. It is close to midnight, so it's quite impossible for Knox to call her unless something really happened, but the odds are there.

She hurriedly walked toward us and sat beside Stan.

"It's dad," she muttered guiltily.

"What?" Stan and I exclaimed in unison. The board between us shifted as I slightly bumped its edge.

Stan immediately stood up and exclaimed. "I'm going to get my laptop. Sade, try calling him back and Seth," he paused for a heartbeat and said. "Think for our alibi."

He ran off, and I nervously glanced at my twin, who's mirroring the same expression as mine.

"Shit," we both gasped.

She dialed, but dad is not picking up while I collect the chess pieces and put them away.

"I should've answered it immediately," she said regretfully. Her shoulders slumped and she looked at me sadly, leaving her phone on the floor.

"It's nothing to worry about; he is just monitoring us as always," Stan stated in a rush.

I automatically scooted away from Sade, and he sat between us.

"He is not picking up."

From the tone of her voice, she is anxious and somewhat scared.

"Of course he won't," Stan said as he tried connecting to dad for a video call. "He is waiting for this."