Chapter 42 - Going Home

KNOX

I woke up when I heard some soft giggles in the distance.

I look around while rubbing my eyes sleepily. Alicia and Tania are still sleeping on the couch. Hayden woke up from the sudden movement when I shifted the blankets on me.

The voices I heard surfaced again and that made me and Hayden instantly glance where it was coming from, the kitchen.

"Looks like they are having fun without us," he sleepily said, while giving me a knowing grin. "Let's check."

I only nodded and was about to look for my glasses, then I remembered that I didn't bring them with me.

The cold tiles greeted my feet when I stepped away from the makeshift blankets we made last night. Glancing at the wall clock, it is already quarter to 5.

Suddenly, I felt my feet becoming heavy as we got nearer and nearer like there was an invisible rope trying to tie me up.

Stopping me from walking further.

A force is trying to knock me out and telling me to run away as far as possible. I sighed helplessly after figuring out why.

I am burning with so much guilt.

The giggles were getting louder as we got closer. I calmed myself and followed Hayden towards the kitchen.

When we entered, we were taken aback.

Sade is sitting on the counter while watching Seth working on something. His back is on us, so we don't know what it is.

From our presence, they glanced at us and that's where my eyes locked with hers, but she averted her eyes after a brief second.

"Having fun without me?" Hayden asked and began to walk towards them but I remained rooted to my spot.

"Well, good morning to you too." Seth sarcastically greeted him.

Since he is now facing us sideways, I saw what he was doing now. He is cutting some apples.

Hayden chuckled. "Oh yeah, morning." he said and tried stealing one slice. Sade swatted his hands away but he still picked one and put it in his mouth in an instant.

"We made our breakfast," she proudly stated while inclining her head in the dining area that we had somehow missed.

The table is set with plates and cooked pancakes.

I looked at her. The effect of crying last night was not evident in her eyes. She's still blooming as ever, and her smile is so genuine.

As expected, she is avoiding my eyes.

I saw that coming. Some people change fast and she is one of them. Her feelings towards me are already gone, but why do I feel like my chest is being pricked with thousands of needles?

I should be thankful since this is what I wanted, right?

"Knox."

I was snapped out of my reverie when I heard my name.

I looked up and saw Hayden calling me while Seth was smiling widely. I only lowered my head in shame.

He shouldn't be treating me that way because he knew what I did.

"Yeah?" I asked, trying to look nonchalant.

"Come over here," he cluelessly said while discreetly stealing the sliced apples from Seth's plate.

Once more, my eyes begged for her but she was looking anywhere but at me, so I sighed. "I'm going to wake the two up."

Without waiting for any reply, I turned around and walked out of the kitchen.