Chapter 12 - Tutoring

KNOX

"In the count of three, hands up and eyes on me in 3, 2, and 1," Mr. Friber announced while tapping his wristwatch and smiling as he looked around the room at each table.

He grouped us by six members for this morning's chemistry experiments, giving us only 25 minutes to finish.

"What do you think our score will be?" Besides me, Sade asked her twin across from her.

Seth answered, chuckling. "Probably 15 out of 50."

She only nodded as Mr. Friber strolled from table to table to evaluate our tasks while listing them on his clipboard.

"No way!" suddenly, Sarah, one of our members, exclaimed.

"This is your fault." Fin joined in while glaring. "Acting like you know everything, look what you have done," he disgustedly pushed some scattered tools away from him.

This fool!

But suddenly, the twins only snickered, catching the neighboring table's attention. Fin and Sarah glared even more. I only watched them as they exchanged annoyed looks.

Yesterday, the change of schedule was a success. Sade's is the same as mine, and Seth's is the same as Tania's.

Today is Tuesday, so our only scheduled subjects are chemistry, trigonometry, the arts, and physics. Only this subject is where the four of us had matches.

"Your group activity sheet," Mr. Friber asked, for our turn.

Tania passed him the sheet. He checked our finished task carefully. I held my breath while watching him squint his eyes, inspecting the tube.

Seth's guess might be right; 25 minutes of following the steps of this experiment isn't enough.

"20." Mr. Friber doted our score from his records and went to another table.

"This is your fuckin' fault." Fin hissed again while slumping his body in the chair.

"Oh, really?" Sade crossed her arms, taunting. "The duration of time given was enough to get that score. Aren't you satisfied?"

"20 is the highest score so far," Tania told him.

He only snorted, and we sat down to sort the used tools.

"Mr. Friber knew that 25 minutes wasn't enough; he only wanted to see what we were capable of finishing," Seth said, grinning. "Though my guess was wrong."

Sade smirked knowingly, while Tania just smiled.

We waited for a few minutes, and then the first subject was done. Thankfully, our group got the highest score, which calmed the anger of our ungrateful members.

The audacity to complain when they didn't help at all.

"See you at lunch." Seth waved at Tania as we made our way to our next subject.

"Trigo is next!" Sade exclaimed. "Anyone I must keep an eye on?"

I looked at her curiously. "What do you mean?"

"Someone I can be friends with," she said nonchalantly. "Sort of."

"You can be friends with anyone."

She cringed. "I doubt it." She scooted closer and asked again. "Do you have any friends besides Tania?"

"A few." I fixed my glasses and added, "Well, Clay and Jordan; Clay is our classmate in trigo."

She hummed. "Besides them?"