5

"Why not tell me now?" I pressured. Nathaniel walked past me, a stone-hard look on his face. I turned around speed walking behind him. "Will you answer me?"

"It was simply an experiment."

"So you used me?"

"I didn't want to." He mumbled slowing his pace.

"What do you mean you didn't want t–was it a task?" I figured.

"I can't say." He once again picked up his pace–the house coming into view. Nathaniel stayed quiet the rest of the walk. "I'll see you another time?"

"Is that all?" I examined his face, confused. Was that all he wanted from me? To finish his task?

"What do you mean?" He retorted as the door shut on its own–a loud creaking noise emitting through the house as it did so.

"You only wanted to go on the walk for your task? You didn't actually want to hang out with me?" I questioned, hurt.

"What? No, of course not!" He denied. "Well, partially." He admitted sheepishly. "But I did–do want to hang out with you."

"I think it's best if you focus on your tasks." I stared, hurt. He used me, I know he didn't want to hurt me nor did he want to do this task, but it's not like he had a choice. "Did you need anything else from me?" I offered kindly extending my hand to see if it was healed. "Ho–"

"We heal faster in hell." Nathaniel gave a simple response.

"How is that possible?" I examined my hand, front and back–tilting my head.

"Simple, demons–" His head lifted up as if he was realizing what he was saying. With a shake of his head, he continued. "Nevermind."

"Why are you so secretive?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Look, Jude's back." He pointed to the foyer causing me to look.

When I saw Jude walk in, I turned back to Nathaniel confused as to why he diverted my attention, only for him to be gone.

"What are you looking for?" Jude walked over, turning his head in the direction Nathaniel once stood.

"Nathaniel was just here," I answered. "now, he's not." I sighed facing Jude.

"What were you and Nathaniel talking about?"

"Nothing in particular." I shrugged. "I'm going to go find Ren and Felix." I moved to walk past him but was stopped when he reached for my wrist.

"How were the flowers?"

"How did you–"

"Never mind that, I have other things to do rather than discuss this with you." He scoffed to himself, letting go of my wrist as he walked down the hall Nathaniel had just gone down.

ψψψ

"Is it normal for Jude to act bipolar?" I asked aloud as I walked into the library grabbing Ren and Felix's attention.

"Why? What did he do?" Ren set his book down, sitting up.

"He asked me how the flowers were. How did he even know I went outside? Well, anyway, as I was about to ask him how he knew. He cut me off, disregarding the conversation, and then walked away!" I threw my arms in the air for dramatic effect–walking toward the two, and plopping down beside Ren.

"That sounds about right," Felix added–Ren nodding in agreement.

"He's probably jealous." Ren snickered, nudging my shoulder.

"Yeah, right." Felix laughed. "I doubt Jude even knows what the word means. I've never seen any other emotion in the man besides disgust and anger." He flipped a page in his book.