Vermilion Scarf

Vermilion Scarf

They stared at each other for a long time, both of them not knowing what to do. Mikasa sits on the bed while fiddling on the Hem of her clothes. Eren was just standing there, hiding his one hand on his hands from her. Mikasa bit her lower lip, her hair is still sticking on her face, wet.
It still felt like she is underwater.

Eren save her life  but isn't he supposed to kill her? She didn't know anymore, neither does he.

Mikasa press her lips together , tapping her legs to reduce the awkwardness that is emitted in the room. Her eyes unintentionally look at him when he pulled a chair and sit infront of her. Eren didn't know how to start the conversation. " H..How are you feeling?"

Her eyes widen, she's shock.  Eren just ask what she is feeling. Mikasa gave a small smile, she found the courage to look up at him. " I'm fine."

"Oh yeah, drowning is fine." He nodded his head , looking at her with his bored eyes, half lidded as if he want to sleep. "Do you really want to die?"

"I don't...I was just reaching for the boat."

" For what?"

She scoff at him, furrowing her eyebrows. " To escape, idiot."

"...and look what happened." He answered, " Nice try by the way, zero Iq."

She crossed her arm, while her eyes is twitching. "The emperor is dead, seriously, what do you need from his grave?"

She sigh, calming down herself. " I know my family did something bad to you  but he's dead and no matter what you do , it won't get you anywhere. I said it before, I will never bend down to you...twinkle toes."

Her voice is surprisingly calm , tears started gathering on the corner of her eyes. "I just want to see my family again and I become desperate to see them."

" What's so good about family anyway? They are useless." Eren's voice were venomous and full of anger but Mikasa didn't bother to correct him because she knows and they had different experience. Mikasa stare at him , her breathes were shallow.

"Your wrong, family is the best...the only people that won't betray you." She spoke quietly.

" And that's were your wrong, family could betray each other, that's why you don't just trust people."

Mikasa shut her lips together because she knows that what he is saying is true and she got nothing to defend her stand anyway, Mikasa look down again.
She's very tired and cold until,  she felt something wrap clumsily around  her head. She saw that it is a red fabric , she look up at him while he look away from her after wrapping the scarf.

"It's warm right?" He ask, still looking away from her. Behind the scarf, there is a small smile on her lips. She touch the object that is wrap around her, it is warm and soft. 

"Mmm.." she agreed in a muffled voice , her heart beat is fast , as if she just run from a marathon but she is very happy. Mikasa arrange the scarf on her neck. It help, she's not that cold anymore. 

"Mikasa.." 

It is the first time that he say her name and it wasn't spiteful like she thought it would be --her beautiful name to sound like a dead crow when being spoken by him. " Tell me, where is your grandfather's grave." 

" His body is burned in the fire but you can see it in the mountain, in the small island. Father put his grave there, in hopes that he will be closer to the goddesses." Mikasa informed him.

" Do you know what your grandfather had done?" Eren spoke in a low voice. Mikasa look at him tenderly, placing her head on the headboard.

"I know now and I'm really sorry." She sounded genuine.
" Sorry will never be enough for that but you can kill me if you want , besides I don't really know what I'm doing here."

" Huh?"  He is puzzled.

" But even so, I don't want  to die pitifully." She smirk at him,
" Let's make it fun  shall we? Like a duel until death befalls to the other. Just like before, the deal we made together.. we'll work together and kill each other. "

He scoff at her, annoyed.   

" but you know what? I don't really want to die, I just keep saying that but dying is scary."  Mikasa look at the table beside him, seeing that there is a glass of water there, she grab it and drink it. " You understand that right?"

He stayed queit.

" Losing someone is really painful but that's just what it is , it's the process of life. You live and then you die. " Mikasa smiled at him even if he can't see it.  "Are you afraid of something?"

"I'm not afraid d of anything."

"How weak of you." Mikasa teased him, " I'm afraid to lose my family, I'll do anything for them."

" Why would you do that?" Eren ask, puzzled. He doesn't understand the need of sacrificing your own life for someone."

" Because I love them and if you love someone, don't you want to save them?" Mikasa smiled fondly, " I would always love them."

He may not understand but it felt good talking to her.

"The scarf... it's soft." She smiled, " and it smell good too."

" That scarf...is knitted by my mother. I haven't use it for so many years. " Mikasa listened to him, humming. She took a deep breath and smell the scarf.

"It's comfortable...thank you." 

They were silent but Mikasa felt that the silence they had is beginning to be  suffocating so she took a deep breath and speak again . " I'm sure your mother loves you very much because no mother could hurt their children, if they do  then they are monsters and  not mother's."

Eren look at her, contemplating what he just heard from her. " No mother would wish warm to their children?"  He ask, Mikasa smiled and nodded.

" Yes, no mother would wish harm to their kids. Mother's had a natural instinct of protecting their children." She explained,
" Mother's will always be there for their children despite everything and when I become a mother, I will protect my child the way my mom protected me."

".....sometimes, it's not like that."