The Emperor, Mikasa's Grandfather

Another day had passed, a new beginning maybe.

Without Armin in here, it's queit different , that atmosphere in here is tense and the vassals are not as lively as they used to be , though, they were not really lively at all. It's very queit and it's suffocating.

They lost, but it was to be expected since they enter a war. It wasn't a long war, it doesn't even last a day but they still loss.  Some of the Vassals died and they were force to leave their body behind.   An unexpected betrayal from the person they look up to and respected. Nobody knows his intention, the main reason why he is called Mysterious.  The words he say is the opposite of what he meant, his actions is all unpredictable.

Mikasa had never been this down before, sad.
It's painful when you considered a person your friend.
She can't even talk to Eren right now , he's locking himself in his room  and the ship continue to sail. They will go back to the island. How would those kids and wives react to their husbands death?  It would be a total disaster.

To lose the person you love is painful yet it's the process of life, we have to let go of them and let them be happy in the afterlife, someday they will reunite again.
Who knows? Maybe they won't  , who knows what path they will go after they die.

She sigh as the hot wind breeze sway her hair, she really need to cut it. It's getting really long despite her hair being beautiful.

"Eren?" She called when she spot him leaving his room. He's tired, it is very visible, he couldn't hide it. He had eye bags and his hair isn't tied. Mikasa gulp and came closer to his direction. " You finally came out."

"Where is Gabi?" He ask, not bothering to make an eye contact with her.

"She's with the vassals, she's helping them clean their wounds. Do you need anything? " She replied while looking straight into his eyes. Eren shakes his head and sit on one of the nearest barrels.

"No, I don't . Now go away." He said and motion her to leave but she sat there on one of the barrels while looking at him.

"It's hot in here, I really want to go and swim. " She complained in him and sat on the ground. For some reason she just want to make him feel good and not think of what happened yesterday. It's a tragedy but it was yesterday , the only thing you have to do now is to accept it , tommorow is the past and every single minute starting from now is the future.

Maybe the future is bright, maybe the future is dull. Who knows?
Maybe it lies on the destiny itself.
Destiny? What a fairy tale,  but we're all free to dream whatever we want right?

Dreaming is free and it's wonderful.

"You can, if you want to repeat what happened that day." He rolled his eyes and look at the sea. Mikasa sigh, remembering what happened that day but her eyes widen when she remembered every detail of it. The kiss, she look at him with her eyes wide open.

"What the heck are you looking at?" He glared at her and she glared back.

" Ah, what the heck is that? Kiss.. kiss.. kiss is supposed to be special! " She point her finger to him. " You ruined it! "

"You would be a dead body if I didn't do it." He replied with a deadpanned expression. Mikasa gulp and sit down again.

"Then let my body float in the water." She snorted.

"You won't float, your as heavy as a pregnant pig."

Mikasa look at him, " anyway, how are you feeling? "

"My body is alright now , the wounds are healing. It's fast but that's just what it is when your on the battlefield for a long time. It doesn't even hurt anymore."  He said, looking away from her. An exhausted sigh escape her lips , she tuck her hair behind her ears and close her eyes, enjoying the wind breeze.

"I don't mean that kind of pain."

"Then, what do you mean?" He replied, puzzled at what she's saying. What else would it be? He is hurt but not that much because he's used to it.
"I'm used to it, it's not that painful now."

" The pain I mean is the pain inside of you. " She said, her hand reluctantly place itself where his heart is located.
"I mean the pain in here? How much pain are you concealing? I wonder, is it hard as a rock now, a wall built inside to protect itself from the pain this world could give." 

" What are you talking about? " He look around, ready to leave her alone.

"I mean it and I know that you know what I mean." He look at him sadly, " You don't have to pretend. "

Is it the right word?

" It is what it is." He said and look at her, " I would not be changed."

"It can, but I don't know what will change it. It could be your mother, maybe sorry can do. " She replied, hopeful, Eren clenched his hands.

"Believe when I say it won't." He left after that.

"And it would."

__________

Mikasa get the tool she requested from the Vassals.A piece of clean paper and a water color so she could paint.  It's been months since the last time she painted besides she want to recreate the repainting of her grandfather. He might have done something horrible but it won't change the fact that no matter what  she loves her grandfather enough that she couldn't stay angry with him.

She started painting, closing her eyes as if remembering the face of her grandfather. Her beloved Grandfather. The movement of her hands is very slow , expertly doing the shades and blending the colors to paint her grandfather's face.

She finish when sunset came and Eren look at her as she admire her painting.

"What are you doing?"

"Painting my grandfather's face." She spoke with a hint of hesitation. " Ummm--- it's not important you can go back to what--"

He grab the painting and look at it. Shock is evident in his face as he look at the painting as Mikasa bit her bottom lip. " This...this is the emperor?" Doubt is visible on his tone.

" Yes," she replied, confused.

Eren is confused, in his memory the Emperor's face is not like this. He search his memories.
Then does that mean, the person who attack them and killed his grandmother is not the emperor of Hizuru?