KNOTS AND MORE KNOTS

"Look at this mess! How could such a lady get her hair tangled into a knot this bad!"

Guinevere could only frown as Melly, the Head of her chambermaids, ranted about her filthiness as she washed her hair in the tub she was in.

"Where in the world have you been into, for Heaven's sake!"

Guinevere caught the eye of her other chambermaid who was at her side brushing her arms.

This one was named Cynthia and she was close to Guinevere's age, so Guinevere hoped she could understand her more than Melly did.

"Running away in the first place! The outside world is no place for a noble lady like yourself."

Guinevere goggled. "Oh please! Stop with the scolding! I've done more significant things in my time away than sit still and look pretty."

Melly held her shoulders and looked at her. "And the rumors! There are rumors circulating that you are having an affair with lord Vermilion's younger brother! This is bad! It could tarnish your whole reputation within the noble community!"

"I don't care, Melly! Aren't we done yet?"

"You don't care? You could be an old maid just because of that rumor!"

Guinevere let out a sigh and stood up.

Melly yelped. "You're not done yet, young lady!"

"I am. Just go get me dinner and Cynthia will help me dress." She ordered as she stepped out of the tub.

"But your father is requesting you to the Dining Hall."

"Tell him I'm not feeling quite well." She pressed as Cynthia hastily wrapped her with a towel.

"Lies! When have you ever learned to lie to your father like that?"

Guinevere stopped right under the threshold and glared at the woman. "Just go before I faint here out of hunger and I'll tell father you are getting sluggish."

Melly's jaw dropped, scandalized. Then she went and did what she was ordered.

She let out a sigh or relief the moment Melly disappeared out of her sight.

"Finally!" She blurted out. "Peace and quiet."

She caught a glint of a smile in Cynthia's face before it turned serious.

"That woman had always been noisy." She told her maid.

"I know, my lady." Cynthia answered, finally smiling as they came in front of the mirror and the woman started dressing her.

"Make sure you do not age like that, Cynthia." She jested as she spread her arms wide for Cynthia to slide the sleeves of her dress through them.

"I will, my lady." She answered.

Guinevere braced as Cynthia pulled the strings of her corset tightly.

"I have to admit it has been awhile since I got dressed like this."

"You always look beautiful, my lady."

Guinevere smiled at Cynthia through the mirror.

But she instantly turned serious when the door opened and Melly walked in with a tray of her food in hands.

She placed it at the circular table on one side of her chamber. "Eat. And you might as well enjoy the rest of your day. You got a busy day tomorrow."

"What? Why?"

"Your fiance is visiting. The Lord Baroque reminds you to keep in mind, a lot of the nobles are keeping an eye to this meeting, whether with the intent of encouraging this union or bring your House down."