HIS EQUAL

"I don't need any of this, Selena!" Guinevere complained in front of the mirror as she gazed at herself while the dark elf was tying half of her hair up in two side buns with a gilt metal.

"Seriously, who dresses up their captives with beautiful silk dresses?" Guinevere asked.

She was wearing a high-collared pink dress that had hems stitched in the form of lotus petals and was held in shape by thin lines of gold around the collar and chest.

"I told you, it's one of my past times. And it's great to have someone else try on my work other than myself." Selena explained and stepped back, gazing at her with round eyes. "You look a lot better!"

"Well...I do." She said honestly, glancing at her favorite violet dress lying at her bunk looking torn and worn out. "Thank you, I guess."

Selena smiled. "You're welcome. Now let's go outside."

"No thank you." Guinevere refused.

"Why?! It's been a month since Alice took the restraining spell in this tent and you'd only ever been out for, like, five times!"

"All I ever see are creatures with horns. Who wants to see them everyday?"

"We could go to the river today."

"You know I couldn't get past the circle of woods." She said bitterly.

Selena sighed and slumped down the only bunk inside the tent. "How can you not ever get bored?"

"Thinking of ways to torture Dyrroth and that blood demon queen never fails to get me through the day." She seethed, anger boiling inside her again.

"You're doing it again."

Guinevere turned to Selena's direction with a clueless expression. "What?"

"Take it easy on that rage, lady. You always tell them darkness would not befall you, but then you turn the air tense with your fury."

Her eyes widen in panic. "Could you really feel that?"

"A few times already that I wouldn't be surprised if you turn all dark tomorrow."

Guinevere got to her feet and strode towards Selena. "I would not!"

"Maybe it wouldn't be bad, you know."

"It wouldn't be bad to be bad?" Guinevere enunciated with distaste. "Do you even listen to yourself?"

"Look at me, Guinevere." Selena said, staring at her eyes. "I used to be a mere elf, one among hundreds. Then by a very cruel sacrifice, I was fed into the Shadow Abyss and came out like this; a more powerful, one of a kind being."

Guinevere understood what Selena was talking about.

The dark elf might look cheerful and mischievous with her bright pink hair and constant bright lavender eyes, but since they had met in the forest, she could feel an enormous amount of magic emanating from Selena, making Guinevere always careful around her.

And she knew it wasn't only her who could feel that. She could see it from the way Alice tolerates Selena even though she could see pure irritation coming from the blood demon's face. And she saw it on the way the orcs and demons seem to take a step away on the few moments she and Selena walked around camp.

"I could see that. But not all of us are great at handling their own darkness." She answered.

"True, but what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't let your fear get in the way of your present. Look at you locking yourself up in this tiny tent just because you're afraid of losing yourself which may or may not happen."