ENGAGED

"Don't even bother fighting." Vermilion said before Odette could attack with her magic.

Guinevere gritted her teeth and looked around.

They were hopeless.

Behind Vermilion was a dozen guards all in horseback.

She looked at Vermilion straight in the eyes.

He had this unsettled look on his gentle face, a frown in his forehead as if he was silently apologizing to her.

He even climbed down his horse and drew next to her own.

"If I may escort you back to the Castle Gorge, my lady." He said, looking up at her and holding out his hand.

Guinevere stared at it for a second, contemplating what to do, her hands gripping the reins so tight her naols dug against her palms.

But she had no magic and she was surrounded.

Odette was already escorted back to Gorge.

She looked back down at Vermilion.

He still had his hand flexed out, patient and gentle as if she hadn't just tried to run away from their engagement the third time.

"Please, Lady Guinevere..." He said.

She glanced at Odette, who gave her a slight nod.

So, without a choice, with the hope of having to find another chance to escape in the future, she handed Vermilion the reins.

He gave her an apologetic smile and turned to the guards.

"You may go ahead."

"But Lord Vermilion..." One of the guards protested.

"She's not going to attempt any escape..." He assured them and looked up at Guinevere. "Aren't you, Lady Guinevere?"

"You have my reins."

Vermilion turned to the guards, who nodded and went a few meters ahead of the trail leading bsck to Gorge, leaving her with him alone.

She actually had nothing against the man. She knew he was just a victim caught in the middle of this crap tradition she was trying to escape.

"I apologize for my actions." She said after a moment of silence.

"I know you do not want this arrangement, Lady Guinevere."

"Do you?"

"I beg your pardon?" Vermilion asked.

"Do you like this arrangement?"

Vermilion smiled modestly at her. "I am unlike you or Gusion, Lady Guinevere. I am the Paxleys eldest son. I am born with the weight of responsibility over my shoulders, bound by it for the rest of my life."

"That doesn't answer my question." Guinevere said. "Do you fancy this arrangement?"

Vernilion chuckled, deep and restrained one and so different from Gusion's reckless one.

"Blunt. As always." He muttered, more to himself. "But... what's not to like?" He answered, staring at her face, reading her expression.

On different occasions, Guinevere would've blushed real hard at his confession.

But right now she was just feeling drained and losing hope.

And not to mention she was missing Gusion real hard.

"Don't you want to marry someone you love? Someone you at least know?"

"Love does not go along well with responsibility, as you might have noticed already, Lady Guinevere."