BROKENHEARTS

"I heard strange killings happened in the next village last night." Granger informed Lesley as he tossed her an apple that she caught neatly in one hand.

She stood up from the bench she was sitting on in front of a dress store while waiting for him to do a survey around the village.

"Let's go. We can't lose him this time." She said as she led the way.

They were starting to lose hope at every new killing they've heard. And it had been several for the last few months.

An elite group of knights and inspectors were even assigned to investigate the case.

"You're suggesting we travel across the woods at night?"

"We've been doing that for months." She said as she looked at Granger over her shoulder.

They'd been traveling for months, only going back to the Moniyan Empire once only to hear the rumor that Guinevere and Gusion had eloped.

It did nothing but make Lesley strive to be away from the Land even more.

It was like she was betrayed by someone she trusted to be there her whole life.

She stared at her companion.

Granger had always been this easy going demon hunter that unexpectedly had a mysterious side, and throughout their journey, Lesley witnessed how his features changed from a lad's into a man.

His shoulders were buffer from all the times of training whenever they rested for days while waiting for Alucard to move again.

He'd also grown taller that now Lesley had to crane her neck up just to argue with him.

But the playful glint in his eyes never faded that it began to grow on Lesley.

It was one of the things that made the whole tense and serious situation they were in lighter.

"I know. That's why we should grab this opportunity to remember being human."

She scowled. "And what does that exactly mean?"

He gestured with his thumb over his shoulder.

She looked right behind him and saw a tavern, its sign looking old and dusty and totally suspicious.

Her mouth opened before she could find any words to argue. "No way!"

"What? I can't remember the last time I lied on a bed and my back hurts so bad."

"We're not wasting time staying there, Granger!"

"And I miss eating proper food. I think I'd lost my sense of taste eating wild fruits and  fish." He added, making Lesley reconsider as she felt her stomach grumble in agreement.

"No. We should head as soon as we can."

"And I got one more reason that could totally change your mind." Granger said.

Lesley glared at him. "What?"

A shadow of a smile flashed in his face as he paced to her direction.

He stopped right next to her and leaned a little closer near her ear.

"I know this is completely inappropriate to say to a lady, but...you're really starting to stink, Les."

Lesley swung her fist towards him but Granger dashed away fast enough to dodge it.

He laughed out loud as he run towards the inn. "Bathe yourself, lady!" He teased.

"You come here!" She chased, her face hot in embarrassment.

She caught up with him in the tavern's entrance and she gave him a pinch at the side as they stepped inside.