Chapter 28: Pep Talk

Mateo

I let Emily go and she storms off up the stairs and I swear I saw tears. Great, just great! Exactly what I need right now! Sighing, I walk to the liquor cabinet and take some whiskey; Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 Year Old Bourbon. It's something expensive so let's hope it also do the work; making me drunk as fuck. Sitting on the couch, I loosen my tie and unbutton my shirt. I've a long flight and wanted some piece but instead I get my wife's temper.

Drinking my third or fourth, I don't really know, I hear someone stepping in the open living room. I expected Emily but instead I get Liam. Right, he stays here for a few days. Turning my gaze to the window I hear him talk.

"So brother, trouble in paradise?" I chuckle sarcastically.

"There is always trouble, even in hell" I hear him come closer. Liam and I never had a conversation before; it feels kind of weird to be alone with him.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Guess I can't say no" he steps closer and sit over me, staring me right in the eye. His eyes are as blue as mine and of all us three, Olivia not included because she looks like mom, he is the one who looks the least like dad. However, in his mind, he thinks like dad.

"Is it true?" I arch a brow while drinking; at first it's would burned my throat but now I don't feel the fiery pain anymore. "You sleeping with Kath?" I roll my eyes.

"Of course not, you idiot!" Why does everyone think I did, Do I look like a cheater? I guess I do...

"Why did she pick up the phone then while you were showering?"

"And how do you this again?"

"Doesn't matter"

"I wanted to sleep with Kath but not because I like her but because I wanted to make a statement"

"And that was?"

"That I don't have feeling for Emily" Liam laughs at that. "What!?

"Sorry, I misunderstand you" he snorts again. "You don't like Emily?" I nod. I don't like her, not in a million year! "I thought that you were stubborn but I didn't know it gone that badly"

"You're lucky I'm drunk as fuck" I fill my glass again.

"I do and I will take advantage of that" Liam looks serious now. "As your brother, I want to say that the whole 'I don't like her' attitude BULLSHIT is" I narrow my eyes. "You think you don't like her because she is changing you" he isn't wrong. I sit forward, interested in what else he has to say. "Those changes are wrong in your head but if you see it in my perspective then you will see you're more...what's the right word? Human?"

"Human?" I say sarcastically. "What was I before, a alien?"

"No, a robot"

"I don't have time for this-"

"-No, No, No, listen me out" I sigh, rubbing my temples. I feel a headache coming... "Before you got married you were like this guy who kills people and tried to be the best. Now with Emily, you do the same but you're more like a human being...You talk a lot more and somehow I see your emotion more. There was only one, anger, but now you develop more. I can see you caring about other more and for some fucked up reason you have humor" I chuckle at the last word. "I mean it!" He says laughs too. "Emily changes you but because she gives you emotion you see it as a bad thing; you see it as a-"

"-Weakness" I finish for him.

"Yes, but do you want what my mother's ex once told me that I never forget?"

"Yes" I reply. What could his mother ex have told him? There are so many of them that I'm a little scared he will tell bullshit.

"Emotionless doesn't make you powerful...Loving and being passionate does" I think about it. Those two are weaknesses, how could it be a strength? "Now you're thinking how?" I nod. "That's an answer you need to find out yourself" He stands up and leaves me there with a question I don't know the answer of...

It's been 3 hours and I feel I need to take a nap. I don't even know if Emily sleeps in our bed or not. Ours... I silently open the door. Thank fuck it isn't locked. Stepping inside I hear Emily's soft snores and I immediately feel calm. I missed those little sounds she makes when she's asleep. Just admit it, asshole, you missed her! I'm drunk, 100% sure. Tomorrow when I'm sober I will think clearly. Removing my suit and shirt I stroll to the bed, trying not to wake up Emily but also try not to fall. After that whiskey I may have drank wine as well. It's a miracle I'm still standing and alive.

I calmly lie in the bed and feel my side isn't as cold as in Italy; it's the body heat of my wife that I missed. Emily lies with her face to the big window. Somehow she prefer that side of the bed and I won't comply, it's a beautiful sigh; Emily maybe more than the actual view. My face goes to her hair and I inhale the familiar scent. Then I decide to whisper something, Emily is asleep anyways so she won't even noticed it.

"I missed you" I kiss her head. "I wanted you to know that I didn't sleep with Kath. You don't believe but that's the truth. I will never sleep with another woman than you" I say in a drunken voice. "I...L-" I can't say the words. "-Never mind" I lay back and Emily rolls over and my heart jumps a little but she still asleep. I thought she was awake, thank god she isn't. Emily reaches for me, hugging my chest and smile. "I Love you" she whispers; What the fuck!