The El Ricci's on vacation - Special Pt.4

Both my parents stand in the doorway, a bright smile on their faces that makes me wonder what the fuck they're doing here

"Son," my dad greets me, "How have you been?" the question gets me off guard considering we barely talk now. My mom on the other hand looks at the bungalow I've rented for this vacation. A vacation they weren't invited for.

"What are you doing here?" my question is direct, emotionless. Something inside me says they're here for Vincent and I hate that. They are trying to convince me for weeks now it's better he grow up in Italy; a place I've grown up in and become the man I was before I met Emily.

I don't want my son to be like that person.

"We had some time to spare so we thought that saying hello couldn't hurt, right?" I don't say anything and dad steps pass me first. "Were is my grandson?"

Mom gives me an apologetic look, one that says she couldn't stop him.

"Here he is," dad's voice calls out and when I enter the room I find Emily already standing there as well, with Liam head on her heels. She sends me a look which I return.

I don't know what they're doing here either, Butterfly.

"Emily," dad says, giving her a small nod. I still can't believe he treat her like that, all emotionless. She is the Goddamn mother of his grandson.

"Giovani, wh-what are you doing here?" she steps closer to Vincent who has a bibs is his mouth, a cute expression on his face; I love that little guy.

"We came to say hello," he says with while looking at Vincent.

"And we wanted to stay over for a few nights," mom explains, "You don't mind, right?" I'm about to say something but Emily beats me to it.

"Of course not," she looks at me, a look that says don't even dare say no; so I don't. "We have an extra room. You can stay there for a couple of nights." I make my way to her, kissing her on the forehead.

"Only for a couple of days," I stress the couple out loudly so they know they can't stay here two weeks. At most 4 days, max.

"Thank you darling," at least mom know how to manner herself, unlike dad. "Good morning Lucy, Liam." Both teens nods in greeting.

"Are we going to the mall today?" Liam asks us when the room fills with uncomfortable silence.

"We are," Emily answers, ruffling his hair playfully before taking our son in our arms. "I'm going to get Vincent dressed," she looks at mom, "Do you want to join me?" Mom excited smile says enough.

At least she doesn't push me to raise my son the way I was raised; dad is problem here.

"We're going to get dressed too," Lucy stands up, offering me a small smile and leaves with Liam.

Now It's only dad and me, in the same uncomfortable silence. I'm the one who breaks the ice first.

"I know what you're doing," his brow furrows, "Don't play dumb to me, dad," I say this is Italian so he maybe understands me better. "Whatever you're doing here, it's not changing my mind."

"I'm not here to convince you, son," his reply angers me more, "Really. I'm here to just spent more time with you and your wife-"

"And my son?" he doesn't say anything. "I'm not letting you raise him like you did to me. He's fucking 3 months old."

"And a born leader, just like you." I sigh. He still don't get it.

"I'm not going to let Vincent be the next Don if he doesn't want to be," my voice is stern, no room for discussion.

"What if he wants to be?" I knew he was asking this.

"If he wants to be the next Don I'm not stopping him-"

"-But you're going to do everything you can to make sure that doesn't happen?" for a old man who wasn't there much in my life he sure knows me too well. "Your wife has something to do with this." He assume right, though she never told me that.

I know Emily isn't keen of the idea of Vincent taking over my place. I also know she will never tell me this but I see it in her eyes; she wants him to have a normal life and I agree on that.

"Either way it's still his choice; not yours, not mine." And of discussion.

"Isn't he the cutest," my mom soft voice stop my track. The door is slightly open, just enough to see scene in front of me.

"He is. Olivia bough this yellow bodysuit just after I gave birth; I think it's lovely." Some rumbling.

"Can you show me one more time how you do the diaper again?"

"Of course," Emily, my too kind wife, answers, showing my mom each step. "That's all you need to do."

"It's so simple?" mom asks and I need to hold my laugh in. It's simple when the baby is calm, not crying but when it does it's a whole new adventure on it's on.

I still remember the first time Emily learned me how to do that. I wanted to because she was tired all the time and I wanted to help; plus it's some bonding time between son and dad.

"You have two children, I'm surprised you don't know this," Emily says.

"I come from a rich family so I never did anything like this for Mateo of Olivia," mom explain.

"Don't you regret it?" there is silence, "I don't mean this is a bad way, it's just-"

"I get what you mean but if I'm honest, I do. Especially now with this little monster," Vincent giggles when my mom tickle his belly, "I just wish I was there more for Mateo," she sighs. "When Mateo was born we all know who and what he was about to become; the next Don. He was always training, fighting and learning everything that there is to learn. Giovani helped him with that but there is one thing he forget."

"What's that?" the room is silence for a few second.

"Giovani forgot to learn Mateo that there is so much more in life then this; being in the mafia. He forgot that there is also love...Love in so many ways you can think off that Mateo never learned. Now with you though, he learned that and I'm so grateful for you being in his life, Emily. You bring up the best in him while I, Giovani and even Kath brough the worse in him."

"I'm grateful he's in my life as well," Emily adds, her voice soft, vulnerable. Almost like she's going to cry.

Oh my sweet butterfly. I'm the one who should be grateful because you changed me for the better...Thank you.