Between Us | 5 |

Zoe's POV

More than anything, I want to keep these friendships that I have around me. Back when I was kept as a hostage up in New Year. Never did I think I would get a chance at my life back again. Everything was hard when I managed to even get out of that place. Victor is gone. I shouldn't be afraid anymore. But I was so afraid of losing these amazing people around me. Without any of them, I couldn't function like a normal human being anymore. 

I know I was an idiot to sleep with Elliot. I wish I could take it back but it already happened, so I'm not gonna let this relapse in judgement to hinder my new life here in New York. 

Sam held up her pinkie, and I held her pinkie back. 

"Promise." We both laughed it off and then got ready.

Today all I wanted was to stop thinking about Elliot. He was a special guy to me. And I won't even lie, the sex was amazing. But I'm just not sure what exactly was going on his head just then. Did the sex mean nothing to him? For me... it meant a lot. 

Sam and I decided to get real cute for a girl's night. It's been a minute of just me and Sam lately. She's been all over Jay ever since we got here. I don't hold that against her though. She's been through enough. She deserves this happiness for once. I'm happy I was even able to see her again. 

First thing we decided to do was leave the penthouse and explore New York. Walking around and just soaking up the beauty of the city. I never got to see this part of New York being holed up for so long. Some nights I wake up thinking all of this isn't real. But then I come back into reality feeling okay knowing I am finally safe. I can finally be a normal girl...

But I don't feel like a normal girl at all. 

Sam and I walked all around until we found a local pizzeria. $1 for a 1 large slice. We ended up getting like 4 slices each because we were quite hungry. We sat down in a booth beside a window. New York night life was so busy.

"So, what's on your mind Zoe? You are quieter than usual." Sam asked.

I sighed, "I know. I'm sorry..."

"Girl stop apologizing, it's fine." She chuckled and took another bite of her pizza, "I'm just worried about you right now. Sleeping with Elliot is a big thing."

I ate my pizza and took a sip of my coke, "God I am an idiot! It's been on my mind this whole time about it. I just have no idea what's going on in his mind! Like does he not like me? He only wants to be friends, but like... I don't. I just feel like maybe my past trauma doesn't make me... I don't know... womanly?"

"Hey. Do not say that. You are more of a woman than anyone else I know. You were a victim of a psychopath. What you went through is not something a lot of people would survive from. You are so beautiful Zoe and Elliot is an idiot for not seeing it." She said.

What she said made me feel warm inside. It's so easy to talk to Sam. 

"I just have a hard time understanding what last night meant for him? Was it really just meaningless to him? I just can't believe that there isn't something between us, you know?" I admitted.

"Zoe, it's okay to talk to him about it. Look me and Jay are not a perfect couple. It took so much work and effort to break down our walls with each other. And still 'til this day, I wonder if we will last..." Sam said.

"Wait, why do you say that?" I asked.

"I won't lie to you Zoe. Coming here was amazing, and I am so excited to see what is in store for our lives here. But everything changed to fast. Everything that happened back home, I am still just processing what happened. I've been sort of unhappy. I love Jay so much, but maybe we are spending too much time with each other." Sam looked down.