The Kids

We stood at the door, both Jay and Kristen look very anxious. What is beyond that door? Who is it? And why am I even here for?

Jay grabs the hospital door handle and slowly opens it.

Kristen walks in first and then Jay, I didn't come in just yet. All I saw was someone on a hospital bed, I didn't see their face. I was outside the door, just looking in.

Kristen drops on her knees and starts to weep. Jay grabs Kristen shoulder and squeezes it.

"Mom..." Kristen's voice cracked.

Mom? It's their mom... Why is she in a hospital? Don't tell me... Is she...

"Kristen... Stand up." Someone said very quietly.

Kristen stood up and wiped away her tears.. Jay is not crying, but I feel that he's trying to hold it in.

Kristen walked up to her, kneeled down, and held her mothers hand...

Jay walked to the other side of the hospital bed, I was still standing outside. I didn't know what to do. She's alive... But what happened to her?

"Welcome back." Kristen said.

Welcome back?

"Thank you sweetheart, my have you grown..." Their mother said, "both of you. Have grown so much..."

"At least you remember us." Kristen said.

"How can't I?" She laughed, "You two are my everything."

Why isn't Jay saying anything? He's just quiet. And now I remember... Elliot told me that his mother was in a coma... this entire time. She is finally awake. Amazing... it's amazing how she remembers them.

"Shit... we didn't even get you flowers." Kristen chuckled.

"I'll go down to the gift shop..." Jay said and then he walked out of the room.

"What are you doing?" I asked, "Go talk to your mom."

"Shut up.." he sighed then grabbed my wrist and took me to the elevator.

"But it's your mother! She gave fucking birth to you!" I said.

Jay grabbed my shirt.

"Do you know what it's like?!" Jay yelled.

"No.. I don't. But I do know how it feels to be treated like shit." I said.. I've been both abandon.. abused.. Everything. No one understands how I feel.

So don't give me that bullcrap! At least your mother fucking loves you and actually thinks of you as her own!

Jay lets go..

"Sorry.. I-"

"Don't even try asshole." I said, "Just admit it. You fucking happy to see your mom is finally awake and remembers you."

Jay slides down his back to the ground..

I sat down beside him. He had his arms on top of his knees and his head down.

The elevator door opens and a little boy and waiting outside of it.

I glared at the kid, "Get the next fucking one." I told him.