Joshua - Break

You sat on the couch as you waited for your boyfriend, Joshua, to show up. 

It was currently past midnight and Joshua has yet to come back home. 

Earlier the two of you argued over something and in anger Joshua left the house for a walk, wanting to be alone. You wanted to follow him out and coax him back in the house, afraid he would so something stupid in anger, but then you also thought it might better to leave him alone. 

That way both you and him would have time to cool off your anger. 

Fast forward four hours later, Joshua has yet to come home and your anger had slowly turned into concern. 

You were worried something had happened to him, which is why he hasn't come home yet. 

This isn't the first time the two you of you have argued. 

Of course you have had your occasional small arguments every now and then but for the past couple of weeks, the two of you have been blowing up at every small thing. 

Lately Joshua hasn't been really picking up your calls or replying to your texts and also leaves you stood up when you make plans to spend time together. Neither does he call to provide you any explanation nor does he call to tell you he can't make it either. 

Other times he would just unexpectedly show up without even calling ahead, making you cancel your plans just so you could spend time with him. 

You knew he lives a busy and stressful life and understood if he couldn't attend to your calls or texts sometimes. However everything had a limit and Joshua had crossed your patience line now. 

All you asked from him was a bit more transparency. You understood that calling may be time consuming but surely sending a little text saying "Hey I can't make it today" can't hurt him. After all you had a busy life too. 

Joshua had once again stood you up last night and you confronted him about it, frustrated. However Joshua was frustrated too, calling you too clingy and the two of you started arguing again. 

Right when you had made up your mind to get up and go search for Joshua, you heard something click from the front door and it opened, revealing Joshua. 

You stood up in anticipation as your heart beat from relief. Joshua had yet to see you as he removed his shoes and the knit cap from his head. 

When Joshua turned around, he stilled when he saw you standing, obviously not excepting to you be awake at this hour. 

Joshua looked away, slowly walking in. 

"Why are you still up?" He said, still not looking up at you. 

You weren't sure why but something ticked off inside of you when Joshua spoke. After all the arguments and Joshua leaving the house, the only thing he has to say is that. 

Not a single apology or concern or anything to make the situation better. 

You started breathing a bit harder to control your tears from pooling out. 

The last thing you wanted to do was cry in front of him. 

In a haste you left the living room, heading towards your bedroom. 

You suddenly felt as if you were suffocating and desperately wanted to get away from the house. Yes, Joshua probably is stressed and frustrated from all of his schedules but so were you. 

You also had a job and you also had expectations to meet up. You also supported your single mother and even you had bad days. But you never took them out on Joshua. 

Your head hurt and you needed fresh air. 

"Hey what are you doing?" Joshua asked as he saw you wearing your jacket when he entered the room. You hadn't even realized when he walked in.  

You didn't answer him and instead proceeded onto grabbing your wallet. You tried leaving the room but Joshua held you from your elbow.

"I said where are you going?" Joshua asked you, holding your firmly with a hard face. 

"Let go of me," You said, trying to tuck your arm away. 

"No."

"Joshua please. Let me go!" You said, a bit louder this time as you struggled against him. "

"I said no," Joshua said, his grip only tightening against you. 

"Joshua! Just let go of me. Let's not do this right now," You told, tears falling out of your eyes. 

"Where are you going!" 

"Away from you!" You yelled, anger getting best of you, "Away from you. I want to get away from you right now so let me go." 

Joshua was startled by you raising your voice but maintained his grip and said, "I'm not letting you go anywhere. Especially at this hour. You're not in the right state of mind right now."

"Why? You were out there right now weren't you? Oh so you're the only allowed to just slam doors and leave people hanging without an explanation," You questioned. 

Joshua's jaw moved and you could tell he was annoying. 

"Y/N," Joshua spoke your name slowly, "Calm down. You're not going anywhere. Why don't we sleep on it and talk tomorrow." 

"No! That's what we always do. Sleep on it and then pretend nothing happened," You said angrily, "I can't live like that any longer. I can't just pretend living nothing is different between us. That we're breaking apart."

You managed to snatch your hand away and stepped away from him, crying. 

"I don't want to live on without getting any answers from you. We clearly aren't communicating well and we clearly don't have enough time for each on other hands. Both of us need to sort out our priorities," You told him. 

Joshua looked down, his head hanging low. 

"Do you want to break up with me?" He said in a slow and quiet voice, sounding pained. 

You sucked in a breath, still tearful. 

"I. . .I think we need a couple of days away from each other to think things over," You said. 

Joshua looked up, that pained emotion masked by a stoic expression. 

Your heart broke when you saw how hurt Joshua had looked. 

"Joshua, I-"

"It's fine," Joshua cut you off, "I get it. Few days away from each other. "

Joshua ran a hand through his hair and said, "You don't have to leave. I'll leave." 

I don't really have anything to say so have a great day everyone : )