•• Chapter One ••

In the early years

In the early years.

1858

She walked slowly. The sound of the carriage and the galloping of the horses are far behind her as she headed down the dirt path.
The top of her black shoes covered in a light layer of mud. The hem of her dress barely brushed up against the ground, she was glad, because she couldn't afford a new one if anything happened to this one.

With a sigh, she walked up the large steps of the giant home she stood still as she came face to face with the door of her childhood house.
Having not scene it since she left for boarding school caused her to think back to those times in the past.

She didn't know if she should knock or just walk in. She figured at least one of her parents would be home. It was late and dark out, and they were known to go to bed pretty early.

Raising her fist, she decided to knock. She stepped back. Taking a breath she looked around her surroundings. The big house hadn't changed much. Maybe there were new flowers, but other than that, there wasn't anything different.

Turning her head back, she finally heard the door being open. Her father now stands in front of her. She smiles.

"Father." She says, a small laugh of disbelief escapes her as she takes him in. The man's once dark brown hair now glazed with gray.

"Vivian. You're home." He stated, not moving to let her in yet. A cold brush of air causes the hair on the back of her neck to rise. She wishes then she put her hair down instead of up in a tight bound.

"I am. I've finished with school. Is mama here?"

The tired look that once etched her father's face was instantly turned into one that could only be described as anger. ". Are you staying here?"

Vivian blinked back in shock, not understanding what he was saying, or why he avoided the question, she nodded her head to answer his.

"I am."

"Fine. I'm going back to sleep. I have work in the morning." He said, then turned on his heel and disappeared inside the house and to his room.

Still confused, Vivian grabbed her bag that sat beside her and followed after him. Closing the door behind her. The foyer is dark as she walks forward. The sound of her heels clicking against the floor is the only sound besides the crackling of the fire that burns in the living room.

She takes a breath as she makes her way up the steps that lead to the upstairs level.
Turning only once, she walks down the long hallway that leads to her bedroom.