•• Chapter Forty ••

The basement of the school had flooded, causing the party to be moved to the hybrid, Tyler's, house. Vivian could be less than thrilled after Stefan basically dragged her along beside him, despite her wanting to stay back at the house with Damon. A band played on a stage and the crowd danced as they held red solo cups. Slowly, the two walked amongst them, examining their surroundings and keeping an eye out for signs of any imminent danger.

"Hey, Stefan. What's up?" The hybrid stopped in front of them, carrying a case of what Vivian assumed was beer.

"Hey, Tyler." Stefan said, mild toned, "Nice party you got going on here."

"Yeah, real great." Vivian muttered

"Thanks, uh, Vivian, right?" Tyler said, raising a brow at her

"Good job." She said, going into the case he was holding, she grabbed one of the beers. She looked around the sea of dancing people and observed the bad playing on stage.

"Yeah, anyway. I wasn't really the one throwing it. I'm just doing what Klaus wanted." He said, causing Vivian and Stefan to share a look.

"What do you mean?" Vivian and Stefan ask in unison.

"It's not a party." Tyler said, "it's a wake."

"Good evening, everyone." A familiar voice over the speaker caused Stefan and Vivian to look over to the stage. There, standing front right and centre, was the devil they were speaking of.

"I wanna thank you all for being here with me to celebrate." Klaus announced, which earned a cheat for the clueless crowd of teenagers. "It's been a long time coming." Vivian nearly shivered at the look Klaus was sending them.

  "So, in typical Klaus fashion, you didn't strive from the dramatics." Vivian mused, as the man himself made his way across the grass and towards them.

"Well, I've been planning my father's funeral for 1000 years." He said, "granted in no version of it we're these people invited, but you get the idea."
Stefan hummed in response and asked, "So, what now? You stop running?"

"Now I reunite my family."

"Your family?"

"Yes, I'm sure you remember them, Vivian, dear."

"Right, of course. The people you cart around in caskets?" She countered back. Of course she knew his family. They were hard to forget.

"Yes, well, none of that matters anymore. Mikael's gone. Bygones will be bygones. It seems like the homecoming Queen still walks among the living..." Klaus says, "....which leads me to believe Rebekah isn't here. Where is she?" He asked Stefan.

"I have no idea." Stefan says, Vivian but the inside of her cheek, he sounded convincing and true, which meant that this plan was somehow working so far. "I thought she was coming with Matt."

"Oh, be honest now, Stefan. Where's my sister?"

"I said, I have no idea. Now, would you like me to take you to your father?"

"Well, it wouldn't be a party without the guest of honour, would it?" Klaus said, "bring him to me."

"All right." Stefan said, after sharing a look with Vivian, who sipped on her unsurprisingly awful tasting beverage.

"Perhaps there's something in it for me?"
Klaus squinted his eyes at his comrade, Vivian smirked knowingly. "My freedom from your compulsion."

"Oh, you want your freedom? Well, once he's dead and his weapon destroyed, you and yours will have your freedom. It'll be my pleasure to give it back to you."