𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎𝟎*

Alana's POV.

I lay in bed staring at nothing. My mind refused to slow down, one of those godawful sleepless nights where every tiny mistake of the recent past, and some from years ago, came back to niggle at me. Why had I said this, not done that, and screwed up that simple task so badly? That sort of intrusive, very unhelpful thinking.

I would almost have accepted it if in fact there had been a personal fuckup worth fretting about. There wasn't, though. Just a series of minor mishaps and over analyzations all working together to make me feel like the dumbest dummy alive.

My covers became suffocating, and for a time I leaped out of bed and paced across the floor. Stalked, really. An angry, deliberate movement of my legs as a traveled back and forth. But the floor was too cold for my bare feet, and I reluctantly returned to my warm bed.

I sat with my back to the wall, cross-legged, a blanket pulled over my lap as a concession to my poor chilled toes. The wall was a bit cool through my thin white shirt of Harry's, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I wasn't ready to lie back down and try to sleep again just yet.

My phone was in my hand, having semi-unconsciously grabbed it before giving up on stalking shadows. I scrolled up and down my contacts list, wanting to talk, knowing that no one else is going to come here and everyone would be still busy with weddinging prep for tomorrow.

Liam and Kiara have practically locked me in my room at 8'o clock sharp saying the bride needs her beauty sleep. Nobody even asks what I want!

The bride needs to see his groom!

I pursed my lips and stared at Harry's name glaring back at me from the small screen in my palm. Harry was about the right mix of good to talk to and not someone I'd be too upset about waking up. Plus he is going through the same thing as me.

My hands shifted to a double grip on my phone, thumbs poised. Hesitation a moment longer, then a few swift touches.

Me: Hey.

Another hesitation, then a follow up.

Me: You up?

I waited an excruciatingly long time, to the point I was certain I'd get no response. Though, in fact, when I did get a message back, the time stamp suggested it had only been a couple of minutes.

Hubby❤️: In a sense.

My lips twitched in a brief facsimile of a smile.

Me: Same.

Hubby❤️: Nightmares? Need your valiant fiancé to scare the monsters off?

I snorted aloud and knowing he was half-serious and half-sarcastic.

Me: You dick. No, not monsters or dreams. Haven't got as far as dreams yet.

Hubby❤️: What is it then?

Me: You first.

Hubby❤️: Nuh uh. I asked first.

Me: Mine's stupid.

Hubby❤️: So?

Me: So I don't wanna say. I just want a distraction for a while.

Hubby❤️: What kind?

Me: Dunno, really.

Hubby❤️: You don't make this easy, Alana.