Chapter 14: Christmas Gifts

By the time they came out of the restaurant, it was already dark. The food street vendors were already pitching their stalls and students gathered around, gusts of greasy smoke wafting up along with the lights.

The winter night was very cold. He Yu tied the scarf for her, so Su Qiuzi now left only her eyes exposed. She watched He Yu’s tall back walk through the food street, his strong presence and black overcoat giving off a manly coolness that was at odds with the noisy smoky atmosphere.

He Yu drove here by himself. He left the car parked at the intersection, with the luxurious body of the car attracting attention. As Su Qiuzi got climbed in, her complicated sight made her appear like a school girl who had been spoiled.

The road near the school was full of students walking back and forth. Many couples were walking hand in hand, creating a romantic and warm atmosphere.

Compared to the atmosphere between couples outside, the atmosphere between the couple inside the car was a bit colder and more distant. The heater in the car made Su Qiuzi sleepy, so she leaned back in her seat and thought about what Xu Shao had just said. He Yu should have heard it too.

She hadn’t expected He Yu to come and pick her up. He even wanted to accompany her to have the IV drip infusion at hospital. She thought about how it should be out of her husband’s duty to take care of her for one night, just like the night before. He Yu had always been devoted as a husband and Su Qiuzi felt that even lovers who had been in a relationship for four years in college might not end up better than she was now. She had seen so much love like this in college that she didn’t feel sorry for it at all.

The car drove up to the White Stallion Building. By this time, the students who had finished their classes were pouring in, not only to eat but also to work part-time. Most students didn’t have much money, but at least their parents were able to pay for their living expenses, such as food and clothing. They occasionally worked part-time to earn some extra money and save up to buy some expensive items. Nothing to worry about, either it was about their life or their future.

The intersection lit up with a red light and the car slowly came to a halt. He Yu looked at the stream of students not far away and asked, “Has the university always offered a part-time job?”

“No.” Su Qiuzi’s voice was somewhat hoarse from sleepiness. She deliberated for a moment and said, “I’m not that miserable. There’s some other entertainment every now and then.”

“What do you like to do?” He Yu asked.

“Pottery.” After Su Qiuzi replied, it suddenly occurred to her that it was also her part-time job. She thought it over and said, “And watching movies, I like Xu Zhi’s movies.”

The last movie she invited him to watch was Xu Zhi’s, He Yu glanced sideways at her and asked, “You like Xu Zhi?”

“Yeah.” Talking about her idols made Su Qiuzi’s tone a bit cheerful and more energetic than before. She opened her eyes slightly and said, “I’ve actually liked him since high school, and at that time, one of his….”

“《Chasing the Wind》” He Yu said.

Unexpectedly, He Yu even knew that. Su Qiuzi smiled and said, “Well, have you watched it?”

Once the conversation began, the atmosphere in the car eased slightly. The green light came on, and He Yu, holding the steering wheel, turned left and said, “Well, I like it too.”

The green light came on, and He Yu, holding the steering wheel, turned left and said, “Well, I like it too.”

The topic seemed to end there and the car fell silent again. The running car and the heating made Su Qiuzi feel like she was sitting in a moving house. She almost fell asleep, but she suddenly snapped up.