Chapter 52: Preparing A Surprise

Calmly looking at the man before her, Su Qiuzi stood in the doorway for a long while. Having not seen him for a few years now, his impression in her mind had slowly fazed until it had completely disappeared. A face that was obviously familiar, but meeting again after a long haul, all really felt strange.

“My mother’s matter has nothing to do with me.” Su Qiuzi remembered what He Yu said and simply she repeated it.

As the cigarette between his fingers burned on, Luo Fan lightly tapped the tip and said, “I know.” 

Then, a long silence ensued. Su Qiuzi had nothing to say, but when the cigarette in Luo Fan’s hand burned to his fingertips, his eyes darted. “I took the military academy,” he said, “and became a detective, just to investigate this matter.”

“Yeah.” Su Qiuzi echoed. She deliberated for a long time before she spoke again. “Basically, this is the only proper way to handle this matter maturely. But it is useless; all your previous attempts at revenge against me are imprinted on my mind and cannot be shaken off. Therefore, I don’t want to cross paths with you anymore.”

Luo Fan listened quietly, his tall figure seemingly lonely in the shadow of the lamp, his dark eyes like those of a sail raised on a moonlit night. His eyelashes blinked slightly, casting a half-circle of a dark shadow beneath his eyelids. Then, he said, “I traced the home of the driver of the big truck that was involved in the accident back then, in Qiao City. At that time, his home was completely demolished, but the government compensated him with a portion of the money. However, they received far more than the compensation. It might be a criminal case, I’m still looking into it, I’ll let you know when I’ve investigated it thoroughly.”

Saying so, Luo Fan turned around and walked away. He wasn’t a man who would hold back, neither was Su Qiuzi. She didn’t ask any further questions nor said much, she simply got up and went back to her booth. When she returned, Old Meng saw her come in and blurted out: “That new transfer, Luo Fan, used to be from Xia City’s First High School, he seems to be in the same grade as you, but he’s two years older.”

“Yeah.” Su Qiuzi answered, clearly devoid of interest.

When Li Fa heard Lao Meng finish, he laughed and said, “Qiuzi is already married, yet you haven’t given up on matchmaking for her.”

“That’s not it.” When Luo Fan left the table without a clue of what he was doing, Old Meng overheard someone from the Criminal Police Squad say a few things about him. But he was not good at divulging things to the public, so he could only sigh and say, “This kid’s life is kinda bitter too.”

What Lao Meng heard was that Luo Fan’s father was a personal driver who cheated on his wife with his boss’s wife and subsequently eloped only to be run over by a big truck and killed. Luo Fan’s mother was handicapped and could only rely on her meager income to support her young son who was old enough to go to school but couldn’t. After two years of procrastination and hopelessness, his mother committed suicide by jumping off a building with Luo Fan in her arms. But before leaping off, she regretted it and pushed Luo Fan back and jumped off herself. He saw his mother jump to her death with his own eyes. Later, he was adopted and enrolled in school to study.

Usually when hearing such words with an underlying story, Xu Si Ru, out of professional sensitivity, tended to get to the bottom of it. Each time, Lao Meng couldn’t help but be asked by her three or four times and would tell her accordingly. But this time, Lao Meng endured.

By the time they finished their food together with Old Meng, the Criminal Police Squad hadn’t finished yet. It was already dark and the young detective was sitting outside on a plastic stool- tall and upright like a small poplar. When he heard the sounds of being greeted, he raised his dark eyes that were shining like the night sky lit up by the moon.