xi. 𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡

They were starting to starve

Being on the road got bad quickly, only shelter did come, eventually that was. An old house with just one walker in it, one Carl took out. Daryl caught an owl, Austin checked the perimeter of the house to make sure no one had snuck off to the woods. He heard his dad whistle to indicate them to come in. Austin helped his mom up the stops, her belly grown tremendously in the past few months they've wondered from house to house, scavenging for food.

"Thanks." Beth whispered when Austin helped her set the bags they had down. They stuck together, close in the living room. She held her hand up to help him sit down, the pair close together. It was like that now. The two of them. Beth was getting use to the world as it was, but Austin was her little piece of normality.

Carl hurried in with two cans, when Austin looked close, he saw it had been cat food. He was so excited, grabbing the can opener, unaware of the sad eyes everyone was watching him with. Rick had different plans, a different reaction as he walked over and yanked the can from him. With a raise of his hand, the can hit the fire place. Austin rubbed Carl's back, in hopes of him understanding.

Silence took over before T-Dog made a noise, motioning toward the outdoors. Austin left Beth on the floor as he stood up, following him outside with the others close behind. They ran back to the cans, tossing what they could inside.

"Come on." Austen held a hand out to Beth, helping her into the truck with him before driving off.

They didn't drive too long until Rick called the group to an end, all getting out of their cars and trucks again. He spoke to Carl quietly. "15, you're on point."

"Here, Maggie." Austin handed her the map as her and Hershel rolled it out.

"We've got no place left to go." the old man broke the news.

"When this road meets this one, we'll be cut off." Maggie pointed to one of the lines along the map. "We'll never make it south."

"What would you said? That was about 150 head?" Daryl asked out loud, no one in particular.

"Give or take." Austin shrugged.

"That was last week. It could be twice that by now." Glenn pointed out, squinting from the sun.

"This river could have delayed them." Hershel spoke, Austin looked over to check on Beth, she'd still been guarding the trucks with her shovel. "If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through there."

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-Dog pointed out with a finger to the map.

"T-Dog is right. It's too risky for all these cars." Austin agreed, pushing some of his hair back. "All the noise can and likely will draw them closer."

"So we're blocked." Maggie confirmed.

"The only thing to do is double back to 27 and swing toward Greensville." Rick motioned to the map with his index finger.