xl. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝, 𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲?

gif by my lovely friend @egocynical

He wasn't there for a while.

He knew a small group followed Noah to Virgina to see if a place was secure, he knew they came back, and he knew Tyreese was dead. He knew he was suppose to comfort Sasha, he knew he was suppose to comfort Maggie, he knew he was suppose to put Judith asleep each night, he knew he was suppose to eat and sleep himself. But, he didn't. More so, Austin couldn't.

He was always one of those people that would get annoying with characters in movies and tv shows when something bad would happen and they wouldn't move for days. He'd think, just eat something to stay alive, just let people know you were there. But, back then, he didn't know what it felt like. His mom was the beginning, but Beth broke him in two and put him in such a bad mental state. Everyone worried, because if Austin was the one to break on them, then what hope did they have for the world?

He was kept in the middle of the group at all times as they walked. He didn't know it, but he kept turning back every few minutes, wanting to be back by her grave. Carl and Glenn had to prey him away from it when it was time to leave, but he couldn't remember that happening.

"Hey, come on." Glenn held him softly when he turned back. "We have to keep going."

He didn't talk, but they all knew he was trying to go back for her, and her alone. Austin turned back, holding Glenn's hand as Carl and Michonne walked behind him. Rick would turn to look in worry every few minutes. He was his son, and he knew that what he felt after Lori could easily pass to him.

Even now, after three weeks, it felt like so much as three days to him.

There had been a few conversations going on around him, like Gabriel's voice, Carols. It sounded like he was underwater though, muffled by the memories of her that filled up his ears and mind. The good part about this way this pain kept his mind off the hurt in his stomach, his bones, from the lack of food he'd had in many days, if not weeks.

"Austin." Glenn squeezed his hand to get his attention. "We're going to the side of the road, to take out all the walkers."

He didn't realize they'd been following. Carl took Austin's hand and pulled him to the side with him and Judith as they group all lead the walkers off the side of the bridge until Sasha stabbed one, her anger being taken out the same way Austin's had three weeks ago. The group flooded in fighting, killing the walkers. Austin watched, his eyes didn't follow, staring as some of the walker blood flew onto his face.

He was getting tired, almost falling asleep while standing with his brother and sister. Carl tugged on his arm. "Austin."

But, he was ignore. Or, not so much ignored, more so unheard. Glenn took his hand again, taking him back to the road to walk once again. Daryl went back into the woods while Maggie searched the cars, Rick held Austin's face, pulling his jaw to make him look him in the eye. "Son."