xxix. 𝐇𝐞𝐲, 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐝𝐲

Running in the dark, chasing a car, only lead to so much worse

Running in the dark, chasing a car, only lead to so much worse. In the process of Beth being taken, Austin running after it for hours resulted in him loosing Daryl as well. The car was gone, hours and miles shreds of him, Austin held his knees as he panted and panicked all at once.

"Daryl!" Austin shouted into the woods, crying as his heart raced so hard that it physically pained him. He fell onto the ground, trying to breath, but it wasn't working. Beth was taken, she could be hurt, he had no clue who or what took her, had no clue where she went. Daryl was gone too, lost in just foot tracks miles behind him. Austin thought how stupid he was, how stupid he could ever be to do what he did.

He told Beth to go without him, he shouldn't have told an unarmed person to run into the road in the middle of the night. Then he ran after her, as if he was gonna catch the car, loosing Daryl in the dark woods.

"Shh, shh." he tried to do what his mom would do, rub the back of his head and twist the end of his hair. It didn't work, because she hadn't been here either. "You're okay."

Nothing worked, he just had to sit there and cry and let his body feel like it was gonna explode until his heart stopped beating so horribly fast. It took a while to get himself together, a few pep talks, getting into his feet as he started to walk. He could feel the blisters on his toes and heels, usually stopping to at least pop them so the pain wasn't so bad, but deciding against it this time.

A sign was close, perhaps a map. Austin figured, maybe, he'd be able to find somewhere that had people, that had guns of some sort to help him go after whoever had taken his girlfriend. Only, when Austin got closer, he found something so much better.

Glenn go to terminus Maggie

"Maggie." he exhaled in joy. If there was one person that could be able to track down Beth, it would be her sister. And if anyone was gonna find Daryl, it was gonna be Glenn. Glenn. Glenn and Maggie, maybe still alive. Meaning Carl, Judith, and Rick couldn't be far. Austin looked at the map again, touching the star as he looked at the road, seeing the way he was meant to go.

So, with a step, he started to head off.

The woods made it easier to get there, Austin rubbed his forehead as he adjusted the shirt-bandana again, running out of water. He assumed he was getting closer, walking but staying close to the rail road tracks. A walker was heard, making him pause. He took a second, looking from where he had been coming from. He set his backpack down.

The walker growled, behind him as Austin spun around with a minor yell when he was tackled. He was quicker now, shoving it off him as he grabbed his knife. Austin stabbed the walker in the head, loosing his balance as they both fell over back on the train tracks. The Grimes boy groaned at the impact the ground colliding with his head, rolling off the walker and yanking the knife with him.

"Austin?"

Dead. I'm probably dead, was all Austin thought. Yet, he looked over anyways. He never in his life thought he'd be so happy, so thankful as fear started to disappear. "Carol!"