xxxiv. 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐜 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭

"Austin, you good?" Carol asked as he followed Daryl to find her near the car

"Austin, you good?" Carol asked as he followed Daryl to find her near the car. He didn't say much, sitting around. "Mad about something?"

"Did you agree to any of this?" Austin looked up at her. "To going to Washington?"

"No." Carol said in return. "You don't wanna go?"

"I'm not leaving Beth here." Austin shook just head. "She's still out there."

Carol almost smiled, putting a hand on his head. "I know how you're feeling. I do."

Austin's heart fell when he realized how similar this entire situation had been to when Carol was still on the search for Sophia. "I'm sorry, Carol. I didn't mean to bring up bad memories."

"It's okay." she held his head a second longer. "If you want to stay here, look for her longer, i'll stay too."

"You think it makes me a shitty person?" Austin exhaled as he loooed up at her, sitting in the passengers seat of the car. "Like, I can go and save hundred of people but i'm gonna stay back for just one?"

"Just one person can mean so much more then a hundred." Carol stopped his guilty feeling, holding his chin. "That doesn't make you a shitty person."

Tires screeching echoed as they looked over, a car flying past them. Austin stared at the back, and he knew that bumper too well. He'd stared at it for hours when he chased the car. "Daryl!"

He smashed the tail lights immediately as Carol gapped. "What are you doing!"

"They got Beth!" Daryl slammed the truck as Austin pulled the door shut and started the car up.

"Hurry!" the Grimes boy yelled, Carol and Daryl jumping in as he floored it.

"Damn." Daryl spoke as Austin ran a walker over. "How we doin?"

"Tanks running low." he drove, following the car.

"Ricks gonna wonder where we went. 'Specially if we got his son." Daryl spoke once again.

"We can end this quick." Carol looked over at Austin. "Just run him off the road."

"Can't risk it." his hands tightened on the wheel. "We'll be okay for a little bit."

"If they're holding her somewhere, we can get it out of the driver." Carol went on.

"If I saw the driver, i'd probably kill them." Austin shook his head as his jaw tightened, hands gripping the wheel again. "Not in the best head space to trust myself right now."

"And if he don't talk, we're back to square one." Daryl agreed with him. "Right now we got the advantage. We'll see who they are. If they're a group, see what they can do."

"Not if I kill them all first." Austin pointed out.

"You can kill them after we get whatever information we need." Carol shook her head. "They're heading north, I-85."