LIV. 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

"What do we do? We just stay here?" Natalie asked in a panic as Austin got them from school early and they went back home

"What do we do? We just stay here?" Natalie asked in a panic as Austin got them from school early and they went back home. "We can help."

"No, all three of you need to stay here." Austin hurried to get as much medical supplies as he can. "I won't be long. This is important."

"But, we don't know anyone." Luke look up at him in fear.

"I know, but these are good people." Austin kneeled down infront of him, pushing some curls off his forehead. "It'll be a day tops, then i'll come home."

"Well, is she okay?" Natalie hurried to follow Austin as he shoved more things into a medical bag. "Your pregnant friend? Did she loose the baby?"

"That's why we need to get to a more advanced doctor, with better equipment." he answered her, looking over in relief as Eric walked in. "Thank god. Eric, thank you so much."

"Sure thing." he gave him a small smile. "These your little dumplings?"

"Luke is allergic to peanut butter." Austin pointed at the smallest, then to his brother on the couch. "Don't push him to do anything he doesn't want to do, and Natalie- well, you should be a little scared of her."

"Let me come with you." Natalie grabbed his arm. "I'm not a little kid, I can help."

"I totally think you can help." he lifted Luke, leading them both toward Levi on the couch. "But, these two need you right now. My sister Judith will need you. I'm putting you in charge of everything. It's like being a grown up."

"What if you don't come back?" she gave him a sad look. "Why do you have to go?"

"No one else has trained as much as I have. If Maggie can't make it all the way there, i'll have to be the next best thing." he put a hand on her shoulder, then another on Levi's while Luke pushed between the pair. "I'll come back. I promise."

"Maybe wearing one shoe will help you feel better." Levi offered in a whisper. "Makes me feel better."

Austin gave him a smile. "I'll consider it."

The three leaned in as they all hugged each other tightly. "Count to 86,400 and i'll be home."

"Deal." Luke nodded his head.

"Austin." Rick looked in the back part of the van where his oldest tended to Maggie. "Temp?"

"Still high, but we're trying to lower it." he nodded, keeping the rag on her head with his free hand. Rick noticed she was holding his other.

"Hey." he leaned over Austin.

"Hey." Maggie said back with a sniffle.

"We're gonna get there." he promised her. "The doctor at the Hilltop, he's gonna make things better."

Maggie looked away, clearly trying to keep it together. Rick touched her face. "Hey."

"How do you know?" Maggie asked him.