xxv. 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬

"We should do something

"We should do something." Beth spoke as the trio sat around the fire that night. She waited for someone to say anything. "We should do something. We aren't the only survivors. We can't be. Rick, Michonne, they could be out here. Maggie and Glenn could have made it out of A block. They could've."

"Beth, we can't go back there." Austin spoke in a low tone her way, leaning on a log.

"I'm not saying we go back, we just look." Beth got to her feet and looked to the silent man. "You're a tracker. You could track."

"Daryl." Austin looked over at him. "You could."

"The sun will be up soon. If we head out now, we can-" Beth started, realizing Daryl wasn't gonna give in. "Fine! If you won't track, I will."

"Hey." Austin shoved Daryl's shoulder, being ignored. "Hey!"

He rose to his feet, standing above Daryl. "I just left my mom back at that prison, i'm never gonna get to go see her grave again. The rest of my family could still be out there, help me find them!"

"He's not worth it." Beth grabbed his arm. "We can do it without him."

Austin held his gun as Beth pulled the knife from the ground, the two storming off into the dark woods together. "Do you know what you're doing?"

"We can figure it out." the held his hand, the two walking through the woods.

By sunup, Daryl had joined them and seemingly took the lead. He leaned down and pulled leaves off a small foot print. Austin and Beth looked down on it. "Could be Luke's. Or Mollys. Whoever they are, it means they're alive."

"No. This means they were alive four or five hours ago." Daryl looked down, the lovers over his shoulder.

"They're alive." Beth said bitterly as she stormed off.

Austin wacked Daryl in the shoulder as he looked back at him. "Watchu do that for?"

"You're taking a piss all over her hope right now." Austin defended Beth with an eye roll. "It's extremely unnecessary."

"Just saying the truth." he shrugged.

"You can tell if someone dead based off their foot print?" Austin frowned his eyebrows as Daryl stood up. "Her dad literally just died, right infront of her and she's refusing to talk about it with me. She has hope she at least still has Maggie, the only family she's got left."

Austin hurried to catch up with Beth, walking by her side with an exhale. "What's the first thing you're gonna do when you see Maggie?"

Beth thought about it. "Yell at her for not letting me come with her to help Glenn."

Austin grinned. "Sounds good."

Beth held his hand. "I'm sorry we had to leave your mom behind."

Austin frowned as he nodded. "Me too. And, i'm sorry about your dad. He was one of my favorite people, I know someone had to take out The Governor."

"But, we'll find Rick, Carl, Judith too." Beth agreed ad they pushed past stray branches. "I know they had to make it out."

"My dad...I can't see him not surviving all of this." Austin admitted with an inhale. "There's people that you can imagine won't make it to the end, no matter how hard they try. But, then there's people that will, people that can genuinely beat this world. I think my dad will."

He stopped. "Beth, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to talk about my dad when-"

"He's done really good so far." Beth cut him off with an exhale, her hand tightening with his. "But, i'm glad me and you made it out together. I don't have Maggie, and daddy died, but I still have you."

"Always." he smiled, squeezing her hand tighter as they walked further.

"They picked up the pace right here." Daryl spoke up as they turned, seeing him pointing down at a footstep. "Got out in a hurry. Things went bad."

"Wouldn't kill you to have a little faith." Beth spoke in annoyance.

"Yeah, faith. Faith ain't done shit for us." Daryl mocked in return. "Sure as hell didn't do nothing for your father."

"Dude!" Austin yelled at him in disbelief. "Back off."

Beth stared at him in disbelief for a moment, a faint look of guilt in Daryl's eye. Beth started to pick berries off the bush closest to them. "They'll be hungry when we find them."

Daryl nudged her with his bandana, allowing her to take it to place the berries in. Austin rubbed her back. "Come on."

Daryl lead them this time, coming across two bushes of red leaves. Beth sensed the look Daryl had. "What?"

"That ain't walker blood." he nodded to the leaf that was coated in it.

"The trail keeps going." Beth went on, Austin took a deep breath as he followed her. "They fought them off."

"No. Got walker tracks all up and down here." Daryl had the pair looking back at him. "At least a dozen of them."

A twig snapping as Beth and Austin yanking their knives on sync. They waited, the loud growl echoing in the air as Beth cried out when the walker grabbed her. Austin's eyes widened in panic, yanking the walker off her as Daryl shot him in the head. She reached down, helping Austin to his feet as they were back on the road again, coming across train tracks.

"Hey." Austin nudged Daryl, nodding toward a group of walkers that clearly had been munching on recently dead people. Daryl shot them each in the head, the trio going over. Austin rolled the walkers over as Daryl got his arrows, making sure it hadn't been anyone they knew. Beth started to cry, Austin looked back at her with a frown.

He stood up, hugging her tightly with a hand to the back of her head. "It's gonna be okay. Let's find a place for the night, okay?"

Beth nodded, her arms stayed wrapped around him as they walked after Daryl, finding themselves somewhere to stay for the night.

"Wanna know something that helps me?" Austin asked Beth as they laid on the grass together, her head on his chest as they looked to the stars. "No matter where anyone is in this world, we all get to be under the same stars. That's gotta mean something, right?"

"It's gotta." Beth agreed, her arms tightening around him as her eyes got tired. "Let's never forget that saying."

"Okay." Austin gave a tiny smile as he rubbed her head slightly. "Think you can sleep?"

Her head nuzzled into his neck more with an exhaled. "Yeah, I think I can tonight."

Finally, after two sleepless nights, if she could sleep, so could he.

kylie speaks

:(