Li. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐬

"Son

"Son." Rick got Austin's attention as he poked his head in Deanna's room. "It's time."

"Okay." Austin gave Deanna his best smile. "I gotta go now. Keep your rag."

"Thank you." she held his wrist with a weak and pained smile. "Do me a favor, Austin."

"Anything." he nodded down to her.

"Try not to hate everything anymore." she touched his face. "You have so much light in you."

His eyes softened. "It's hard."

"I know it." she promised. "But, you can do it."

He squeezed her hand, standing up to leave Rick with her a moment. Carl met him with a white sheet, helping get them walker guts spread on him. "Do you want to take Judith?"

"She's most quiet with you." Michonne pointed out.

"Okay." he walked closer to take her. "Under the sheet you go, little lady."

"Mom?" Sam gave a frightened look as he came around the corner.

She frowned, walking his way. "You need to listen to me, okay? We aren't safe here anymore. Okay, we need to do this so that we can be safe out there. We need to look like the monsters."

Austin and Carl shared a look, because they both knew the fear of being young and not understanding.

"No, please, no." Sam started to cry as he shook his head.

"Yes, honey, we have to go, okay?" Jessie attempted to comfort her son the best she could. "We have to, Sam. Honey, just-just pretend you're brave. Okay? Just make it all pretend. Okay, none of this is real and you're somebody who isn't afraid."

Austin wondered if that was a good tactic to follow, if her words truly could work. He didn't think so in the end, it was ease to pretend, but when it was happening all around you, reality over powered the fantasy world you made up in your head. He thought about what Deanna said, the light he had, if it had been there.

"Hey, Sam." Austin got the young boys attention, Ron stiffened up in annoyance. "Come here a second."

Sam walked closer as Austin kneeled down infront of him. "I know that it's scary out there. When I was your brothers age, I was really scared of the monsters too. You want to know how to beat em?"

Sam nodded. Austin gave his best smile. "Pretend everyone is in their underwear."

Sam laughed, Austin grinned as he stood up. Jessie gave a thankful look, Ron seemed like he just wanted to smash Austins head in.

The walk got a little easier when they joined hands, Austin eyed the walkers around him as they went for the front door. He feared a possible rain storm headed their way, like last time. It made him wish Glenn had been here, how much easier life would be if Glenn was here. Carl held his hand tighter, Austin squeezed it.