xlix. 𝐋𝐞𝐭'𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭

"She's bleeding bad!" Carl panicked as Austin ran back in with a box of extra things he'd need

"She's bleeding bad!" Carl panicked as Austin ran back in with a box of extra things he'd need. "She's falling in and out of sleep."

"Marisa." Austin hovered over her as he got the blood first. "I've got two pints of B negative, just stay awake for me please."

Carl cleared the area for him as Austin hung the blood up with the other IV, yanking the needle from the box and sticking her other arm. "Okay, okay, okay."

"Are you gonna be able to see without your glasses?" Carl asked in worry, because he'd been shocked Austin made it this far without them.

"Get as much light in here as you can. Every lamp, every window." Austin nodded as Carl was quick to get the lamps from each room. Austin got a new pair of gloves on, setting up the anathetic. "Marisa, listen to me. You're gonna be awake but you're not gonna feel anything, okay? Can you do that for me?"

She hummed, keeping her eyes open with blinks. "Charlie has no one else."

"He has you." Austin promised her. "I'm gonna get you through this."

Carl set up three lamps and opened all the curtains. Austin applied the anathetic to Marisa abdomen, staying away from touching the wound. He looked in fear. "No."

"What?" Carl panicked.

"It takes thirty minutes for it to work." he swallowed. "She doesn't have thirty minutes."

"What do we do?" the younger brother seemed just as worried and in fear as he was. Austin shook his head, slipping away. "Austin!"

"It's risky to put her sleep when she's like this." he shook his head, looking to Marisa. "I'm gonna have to."

"Just do it. Do whatever you think." she took her chances. Austin grabbed the mask from inside of the box and security it around her head, preparing the anastethtic.

"Okay, count back with me." he grasped her hand tightly. "Let's start with fifteen."

"Fifteen."

"Fourteen."

"Fourteen."

"Thirteen."

"Thirteen."

"Twelve."

"Twelve."

"Eleven."

"Eleven."

"Ten."

"Ten."

"Nine."

"Nine."

"Eight."

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Seven."

"Six."

"Six."

"Five."

"Five."

"Four."

"Four."

"Three."

Marisa was out, Austin checked her pulse. "She's out, we gotta go fast."

"What do I do?" Carl asked.

"Keep a finger on her pulse, tell me if it stops." he ordered as Carl did so, turning the book to him. "Okay, okay."

"You can do this." Carl promised him.

"I've never preformed a surgery in my life." Austin shook his head.

"I know you can do it." his brother spoke to him softly. "You can."

Austin stared at him for a moment before nodding, yanking the scalpel from the box and cleaning it. He looked down at the book. "Okay, incision. Incision."

He took a deep breath, silently preying to anyone and anything that would listen. He sliced Marisa's abdomen near her wound, having to pack her original wound more because she was bleeding from this one. "Okay, done. Done. Intestines."

Carl stayed silent for Austin's sanity. He tried not to watch either as his brother dug through the woman's stomach. "Large intestines feel good, no source of bleeding. Okay."

He moved up now, looking as deep as he could for the next few minutes. "Got it!"

"You found it?" Carl asked.

"Small intestines were punctured." he kept one hand on the wound, his finger over the cut helping tremendously as his other bloody hand flipped through the book for his next move. "Come on, come on, come on."

He stopped on the next page, staring down at it, reading quickly. "Saved...small...segment. Okay, okay."

He grabbed two more instruments from the box, popping a flashlight into his mouth for the light. He shut his eyes a moment, Carl watched him. Austin nodded. "Let's freaking do this shit."

He leaned close to the wound so the flashlight lit up Marisas stomach, removing his finger from the puncture wound and and made two quick incisions on either side of the punctured part of the intestines. Carl cringed when Austin tossed it to the side as his hand reached into the box, looking down at the book again, flipping the page. "Stitch or staple. Stitch or staple. Staple, let's staple. Do we- we don't have a staple. We'll stitch ."

Carl left Marisa's side to get the needle prepared for him so he hadn't had to remove his hand from Marisa's stomach and possibly loose the wound. Austin took the needle as he sewed the two incisions up, keeping his hands steady but quick as he got them together. He packed her stomach with her intestines again, keeping them lining her belly before sewing up the wound he had just made. Neither of the boys were sure how long they'd been here, but they were betting around two hours by now.

"Please don't be bleeding." Austin spoke to himself as he removed the gauze in Marisa's original wound, tossing them to the side as he stared into the wound, his fingers pressed onto it. A laughed. "I got it!"

"You got it?" Carl smiled. "You got it!"

"Holy shit!" Austin laughed as he inhaled deeply. "Holy shit."

"Glenn was right." Carls words made him look up. "He knew you were suppose to do this."

Austin smiled, nodding as he looked down at Marisa's stab wound. "I gotta sew this part up and we'll be done. How's her pulse?"

"Steady." Carl promised as Austin caught his breath for the first time, looking down with a nod. "Hey."

He looked up to meet his eye, his younger brother nodded. "You freaking did that shit."

Austin laughed, nodding his head. "Language."

kylie speaks

i'm gonna cry over the
grimes brothers for the
rest of eternity

i'm gonna cry over the grimes brothers for the rest of eternity