xxi. 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝

Michonne was back, and Merle was dead

Michonne was back, and Merle was dead. They had a plan, a good plan that Austin approved of. Especially if it consisted of Carl, Hershel, Beth, and Judith sitting it out. Beth on the other hand wasn't so happy. "Why can't you just come wait in the woods with us?"

"They need as many people here as they can get." Austin hugged her. "It's gonna be okay. Look, i'm all suited up."

He pulled back and did a small spin, showing off the guard attire he got to wear. "Bullet hits me? I'm all good."

"Still." Beth sighed, shaking her head. "I don't like this."

"I don't think any of us like this." he cupped her face. "But, we have to do something. Living this way...it's not healthy or a way anyone should have to live."

Beth hugged him again as Austin rubbed her head. "I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah." she pulled back, looking up at him. "Not gonna say goodbye."

He shook his head. "Wasn't planning on it."

Beth gave a sad smile, pushing up on her tiptoes and kissing him softly. "I'll protect Carl. And Judith."

"I know." he smiled at her slightly, leaning in to plant a kiss to her forehead.

It happened fast, too fast. Woodbury had swarmed the prison, firing at the empty place as they raided it, finding no one there. That was before walkers came around them when a smoke bomb was tossed into the tombs, all taking off outside. Austin stuck with Glenn and Maggie. "Get the hell out of here!"

Austin shot at the group of Woodbury people, aiming nowhere in particular as the rapid fire hit him in the chest with the butt of the gun. They were firing back, making him duck behind the shield they made. He shot at a truck next, scaring them into running. He had to grin. "Yeah!"

"Austin!" Maggie yanked him down as a shot flew over his head. "Stay focused!"

"I will!" he called back, trying toward the Governor as him and his second hand man jumped in the truck and road off. They waited a moment before the stood. "Think we scared them?"

"We did it?" Maggie called to Glenn as she rose her face shield.

"We did it." Glenn confirmed, as Maggie cheered again and wrapped Austin in a tight hug as he gave her a little spin. "Come on down!"

The duo hurried down the stairs, heading toward him, hurrying to meet up with the group near the fence. "Dad!"

"Are you okay?" Rick turned to him quickly, grasping his chin. "You shot?"

"No, no, not once." he shook his head with a deep inhale. "Those guns mean business. I mean, the kick on that sucker? Thought I was gonna tip over. Definitely gonna have a bruise."

Rick rubbed his head with a faint grin, pushing the side of his face as Austin gushed, looking to Michonne with a thumbs up with a bright grin. She gave him a side grin, shaking her head and looking away. "We did it. We drove them out."