LIX. 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ  ִ ۫   ˑ ֗
࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ ✩◿𝓘𝓓𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ
CHAPTER FIFTY NINE—
in your head, they are fighting.

The silence was the worst part.

"I don't think you can do this again." Glenn sat next to Austin in the medical bed. Austin didn't even question how he was there, he was dead. But, it wasn't crossing his mind. "I can't save you again this time. You have to do this on your own."

He just laid there, staring at the blank wall as the light blinded his eyes. Glenn looked down at him. "Are you not gonna talk to me?"

"You're not real." he whispered back. It was just like Beth all over again. He didn't get to talk to her, but that was because he didn't have the time. He saw glimpses of Glenn too before he showed up infront of his face.

"Maybe." Glenn sat with him. "But you know what'd i'd say. I'd say that you can't do this. You need to wake up, stop trying to kill yourself."

The sound of gates opening filled up Austin's ears as he stared at that damn wall even longer. Glenn laid down next to Austin as he stared him right in the eye. "I didn't die for you to not live. If I don't get to be here...live for me. Please."

Live for me.

It sunk into Austin, crawled into his skin, pushed through his veins, and hit him right in the heart. "It's hard."

"I know it is. But, you have to push just a little every day. Please." Glenn begged as he held his hand. "If not for you, do it for me. And your kids. And Abraham. And your Mom. And Beth."

He shut his eyes and squeezed them. "I can't help this."

"I know." Glenn admitted. "But, taking care of yourself helps it. Don't you remember last time? That helped you fight off your brain. I was there, I saw it."

"You were there." he repeated him. "You're not now."

"You sure?" Glenn rose his eyebrows. "Because you're talking to me like I am, crazy."

Austin had to smile at his words as Glenn smiled back. "I'm always gonna be with you. You know this isn't what i'd want."

"You told me I couldn't leave you behind." the Grimes boy stared at his dead best friend. "Look at us now."

"So, what? You're gonna leave me behind in the past and kill yourself?" he asked him. "All means the same thing in the end. You can't give up on life. You have to let me live through you. I can't do that if you're dead."

Austin looked at the knife in his hand, the blade close to his wrist. It had been that way since he'd gotten back here a week ago. A whole week of clutching that knife and only eating what someone would force into his mouth and make him chew. Glenns hand touched the knife, and it clattered to the floor. "Do it for me."

A knock at the door made Austin look back, then back to where Glenn was, only he was gone now.

"Austin?" Carl asked from the other side, knocking on the door. "Can you hear me yet?"

Carl. Austin sat up, giving a small cry of pain as every bone in his body cracked from finally moving after a full sevens days of sitting completely still. His body hurt from not eating, from not sleeping, from not doing anything. He sunk onto the floor, his legs not working yet as he crawled to the door. His hand came up and opened the door, leaning back against the wall with a deep sigh, not realizing how hard that had been.

"Hi." Carl smiled at the sight of his brother. He looked bad, but he was moving, he was alert. He fell into the floor with him. "Oh my god. Hi."

Austin nodded as he leaned his head back against the wall. "Hi."