xxxv. 𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬

"That car was headed downtown

"That car was headed downtown." Daryl spoke the next morning as Austin popped his back and jaw. "I say we get up in one of the tall ones, get ourselves a fire, see what we see."

"Cities definitely got a shit ton of walkers." Austin yawned, his voice was scratchy.

"We can stay close to the buildings and keep quiet, but sooner or later, we're gonna be drawing em." Carol agreed with him as Austin pulled his backpack up on his right shoulder.

"We'll make it quick." he confirmed, mainly for himself as they left the building as quick as they came. He forgot how much he missed the city. He'd come for robotics competitions, school shopping with his mom. It was nice, but the walkers were distracting any good memories from flowing.

"We can definitely get up there. There's a bridge." Daryl spoke as he looked around one of the corners.

"Here." Austin dropped his bag and pulled out a notebook, passing it his way. "Got a light?"

"Yeah." Daryl lit the paper on fire, tossing it far from them to distract the walkers. Running forward, they only ran into one walker that Daryl shot in the head. Austin pulled the door open, holding it open for Daryl and Carol to run through. Heading for the hallway, they paused.

"Man." Austin exhaled as he looked at the multiple walkers in sleeping bags. "Bad way to die."

They nodded to each other, killing the walkers with either an arrow or knife to the head. They stopped at the large tint before them, walker hands pushing against either side. Daryl huffed. "Some days I don't know what the hell to think."

"You gotta learn to not think sometimes." Austin pointed out, throwing him one of his arrows as they made it past the walker infected tint.

Carol pulled a door open, bounded with chains as they had to crawl through. Austin sucked in, making it through as Daryl passed his cross bow. "Good thing we skipped breakfast."

"Morning skinny." Austin hummed, handing him his bow back. Walking into the last room on the right, they were welcomed with an office. It was peaceful, clean, the type you'd go to for an appointment that you had to pay out of pocket.

"Is it weird to say I miss going to the doctor?" Austin asked the pair, his hand came up to push his bandana up, even though it didn't need to be. He thought about his mom, his hand slayed on his head for a second. "My mom use to take me all the time because I had the worst acne ever. She use to think it was cancer."

"That's a deep dig." Daryl hummed.

"Got me in good with a dermatologist though." he gave a faint smile, removing his hand from the desk. The lump was back in his throat, the same one that appeared when he'd so much as think about Lori for too long. "She was good like that."

Carol looked out the window at the terrible state of the city. "How did we get here?"

"Mm-mm." Daryl shrugged. "We just did."