LXIX. who we love is so limited

"Austin!" Maggie was the first one to see him, the group all storming out of Hilltops building

"Austin!" Maggie was the first one to see him, the group all storming out of Hilltops building. They'd been here since Daryl got back, the news about where Austin was coming from Natalie, Cyndie, and Archie when Natalie lead them back. She knew Austin's family would be the best bet to get him back, she just didn't realize he would get out of there as fast as he did. She fully thought he wouldn't make it, yet there he was. Walker guts and all. "Rick, look."

"Dad!" Austin's face lit up as he dropped his bag and took off toward his son. Rick sighed in relief as a visible weight was lifted off him, holding his arms out to catch his oldest in a hug. He held him so tightly, his hand pressed into the back of his head.

"Stop doing stuff like that." Rick told him, hadn't let go. "I am not loosing you."

"You're not loosing me." Austin promised, squeezing his eyes shut as he held him even tighter. "I'm so happy you're my Dad. I'm so glad I have you."

After Austin saw Negan, Austin didn't realize truly how lucky he had it in the father field. After Archie told him that the saviors killed his parents, all Austin could do was think about his Dad. "I'm so glad I have you."

"You know, you're a real asshole." Carls voice caught his attention as the pair pulled apart, he walked over toward his brother and father. "Jump my back for doing the exact same thing you just-"

"I'm older." Austin cut him off, yanking him into his arms tightly. "And taller, I get to do whatever."

"Barley!" Carl laughed as he shoved his shoulder when they pulled back, their smiled identical and coming right from Rick. "Catch a few walkers on the way? You just got guts all over us."

"Something like that." Austin smiled down to Enid as she wrapped under his arms for a moment, Sasha and Maggie coming in right after.

"Hello there, you bloody little angel." Michonne grabbed his chin with a thankful smile. "Bravest little thing."

He almost felt guilty for feeling the motherly love he'd missed from Lori when she wrapped him up in her arms, Tara fist bumping him from behind her back while Rosita offered him a salute he returned. He knew when things cooled off, he would really be able to breakthrough to her.

"You stupid kid." Daryl smacked him upside the head. "Why you do something so stupid like that? Come and find me and some redhead kid? Moron."

Laughter fell over the group, even though Daryl was serious. Non of them could take his tone serious. "Was just bout to come looking for you."

"Is Natalie here? How'd you know what happened?" Austin questioned no one in particular, his eyebrows frowning together.

"Her and two others came runnin in late last night, been up looking for a way to get to you and trying to negotiate a plan with Gregory." Maggie answered him. "The boys are still in Alexandria, Eric's with them. Others out back drawing up a map for us."