xiii. 𝐈 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥

"What happened?" Austin asked in a panic as his dad and the other carried a limb, and calfless, Hershel back

"He got bit." Rick said in return, everyone scavenging around to get what they needed.

"Oh my god he's gonna turn." Beth panicked by her dads side.

"Maybe you got it in time." Lori reassured Rick as they all lifted him on three, bringing him onto the bed rather then a table that would collapse sooner or later.

"Oh, I need bandages." Carol spoke quickly as she looked to Hershel's wound.

Austin held Beth's shoulders when she started to worry, her hand back reaching to grasp his.

"We used everything we had." Glenn shook his head quickly.

"Well get more! Anything!" she called back in return.

"Carl, go get the towels from the bag on my bed." Lori spoke quickly as the small boy ran off.

Austin moved on the bed to put pressure on Hershel's bleeding wound, Carol securing his hand tightly.

"Is he gonna die?" Beth weeped.

Austin looked up as his mom held her face. "No, he's gonna be okay. He's gonna be okay."

"Think you can stabilizing him?" Rick leaned in close to Carol.

"I need to keep his leg elevated." she took deep breaths, Austin rose it for her. "Get some pillows!"

"He's already bleed through the sheets." Maggie panicked, looking at Austin's coated hands.

"It's gonna be okay." Austin shook his head, putting more pressure on the wound. "We can stop the blood with heat. Burn it."

"I can start a fire." Glenn nodded quickly.

"God, no. Please, no." Beth begged.

"No, the shock could kill him." Carol agreed, Lori and Carl coming back with the towels. "It's not gonna stop the arteries from bleeding. We need to keep it dressed and let it heal on its own. Austin, just keep the pressure."

"I got it." he promised her, hadn't taken his hands off Hershel's leg, under the sheet.

Time had passed, and Hershel was still bleeding. Austin was trying to keep it together, but it was clear all the blood was either grossing him out or setting panic in. Carol helped wrap it more. "It has to stop eventually, right?"

"It's slowed down." Austin nodded, swallowing as he side looked.

Beth held his shoulders gratefully, leaning in and kissing the top of his head to show her gratitude.

"If we can get him through this-" Carol began.

"When we get him through this." Lori corrected her, not only for Beth and Maggie's sake.