LXII. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

۫ ּ ִ ۫ ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ ִ ۫ ˑ ֗
࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓘𝓓𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ
CHAPTER SIXTY TWO—
the depths of salty waters.

۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗ 𓏲˖ 𑁍 ࣪ ִ ۫ ּ   ִ ۫   ˑ ֗  ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָ  ✩◿𝓘𝓓𝓐◸ 🂱 ࣪𓏲ּ ֶָCHAPTER SIXTY TWO—the depths of salty waters

"You really don't mind?" Austin asked Sasha late that night as he sat with her near Glenns grave. "I'll be back in the morning."

"I don't mind." she promised him with a nod. "I get it....not being able to sleep."

Austin glanced at Glenns grave as he looked down just a little. "It's just a little longer. Things will come back soon."

She rubbed his shoulders. "You want me to come?"

"No, it's okay. You stay with Maggie." he stood with a deep breath, pulling his bag up on his shoulder. "Sometimes Natalie wakes up in the middle of the night to check on the boys. If she ask, can you just let her know I'll be back in the morning?"

"Have my word. I'll keep them safe." Sasha promised, smiling up at him. "You be carful out there."

He nodded, touching her shoulder as he walked past. The Hiltop gates weren't hard to get through, he didn't have to go through millions of questions like how he did back at Alexandria. These people didn't know him, they didn't care that his mental health was horrible. At Alexandria, he basically had to go through fifty questions before being allowed to leave.

Shockingly, Austin didn't run into too many walkers as he walked the lining of the woods. He stayed close incase needing to make a run for it, but not close enough to draw more walkers back to the Hiltop. He was annoyed there weren't more walkers, he wished there had been. It didn't feel as good now, the killing. It didn't remove the anger, it wasn't letting him feel better. It was just putting a deeper, more shallow feeling in his chest as he watched their rotting bodies drop.

"Doesn't feel too good now, does it?" Glenn asked, standing a few feet away. Austin tried to ignore him, knowing he wasn't actually here. He put his knife back into his waist band to keep it out of his palms. "Hurting things isn't gonna make you feel better this time, huh?"

Austin huffed and walked past him completely, pulling on the tee shirt when it felt too tight around his neck. He blinked, and Glenn was infront of him again. "I know you know i'm here. I'm in your head."

"Exactly. You're not here." Austin snapped, turning right and walking deeper into the woods now.

"Make sure you don't get lost." Glenn spoke when Austin thought it, confirming more then anything that he was just in his head. He stopped to tie pink ribbon around every few branches to lead him back. "Do you even know where you're going?"

Austin sighed again and tried to think of absolutely nothing. But, a faint sound caught his attention. Glenn stood next to him. "That's the ocean."

Austin glanced over at him, watching as he mimicked his every move, voiced his constant thought. Austin followed the sound of the ocean, Glenn slowly starting to fade into nothing as he kept on. Austin wasn't sure what was worse. Knowing he wasn't there, or knowing he was just a figment of his imagination. It got colder as he followed sounds of waves, the smell of salt filling his nose and drew him in closer and closer.