xvi. 𝐁 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐀

"Carol!" Austin smiled, hugging her tightly

"Carol!" Austin smiled, hugging her tightly. "I thought you got eaten."

"Still stuck with me." she hugged him back.

"Thank god. Thank god." Rick hugged her tightly next.

"How?" Hershel wrapped one arm around her while using the other to stay up right.

"Solitary." she hugged him back.

"Poor thing fought her way into a cell." Daryl spoke toward Rick. "Must have passed out. Dehydrated."

Bath walked over with the baby in her arms, Carol gushed at the sight. She looked back at Rick, seeing the look on his face and knew that Lori didn't make it. Austin pulled Carl into his side more, rubbing his arms. Carol cried as she hugged Rick, who was trying to keep it together.

"Wanna hold her?" Austin suggested, rubbed Beth's back. "It helps."

Carol nodded with a sniffle, accepting the baby into her arms.

"I don't think she's a threat." Austin spoke about the new woman that Hershel was treating wounds for. "She just seems like a hard ass, probably feels like she has to be."

"We still don't need to trust her." Rick shook his head.

"This is Maggie and Glenn. Why are we even debating?" Bath asked in disbelief when Rick broke the news on what she'd told them.

"We ain't. I'll go after them." Daryl said confidently.

"Well, this place sounds pretty secure." Rick informed them. "You can't go alone."

"I'll go." Beth agreed.

"Me, too." Austin added. "Glenn's like my best friend."

"Me, three." Axel stepped forwards, looking to Oscar.

"I'm in." the tall man agreed.

Rick looked to Beth and Austin. "You two stay. Hershel and Carol need protection, Carl can't do it on his own with the baby."

"Take my gun." Austin pulled it from his waist band. Rick looked hesitant. "Take it. I have my knife if I need it. You don't need to run out of ammo if it comes down to it."

Rick grasped it, latching onto his hand at the same time. "Thank you."

Austin walked down the prison some as he heard talking in Beth's cell. "You are good with her. You got a little sister?"

"No." Beth said in return.

"How old are you anyway?" Axel asked here, Austin rose his eyebrows as he stood outside of the cell.

"Seventeen." she said in return.

"Seventeen. Interesting." he hummed.

"Yeah." Austin came around the corner, giving him a heavy stare down. "Real interesting."