39

Hiko's pov

Seeing as I already knew a lot about Gennō, Shikamaru assigned me to go back to the books and analyse Gennō's usual strategies to figure out what he might have done here in the village. It took me a while to figure out where I had read about him in the first place but when I did find the book I had a lot to go through. I had the book in one hand and a scroll and pen in the other to write out anything useful I read.

"In the battle of Fire River Gennō the trap master was a cornerstone in Kagerō's victory. With a multitude of unique and inescapable traps he earned his place in history as a formidable shinobi and opponent of the leaf." I read aloud. "I know that but what traps did he set?"

I huffed as I skimmed the pages, the history of the war, the origin of the traps, the old geography of the land of fire.

"The old geography? The Fire River no longer exists after having been destroyed during the fighting. The geography of the battlefield was completely changed after Gennō the trap master detonated his ultimate trap. The previously existing cliff face was detonated from within causing a rock slide that crushed the leaf village's special operations unit as well five other squadrons to death. These collapsed rocks filled the Fire River, forever taking it off of the maps. Now the nature filled land functions as a mass grave for leaf shinobi." I read before flipping to the next section that detailed a different battle. "The battle of the God's valley, a second victory for Kagerō Village. The battle holds a place in history as the quickest victory ever won with the battle lasting 1 hour. This fast victory came from Gennō the trap master blowing up weak points in the valley casing it to be flooded with rubble and crush the enemies. This tactic changed maps across the world as his traps often collapsed mountains and cliff faces."

Noting that down I decided I probably had enough to take back to Shikamaru. As I was heading out to meet him I realised what Gennō's onjective was, he wanted to cause a rock slide by blowing up the great stone faces and burry the whole village.

I ran into the academy training hall and huffed out of breath. I had ran so far so fast that my lungs were screaming for air.

"Shikamaru!" I yelled, drawing everyone's attention.

"Hiko! Where have you been!?" Sakura exclaimed.

"I figured it out." I said.

"Figured what out?" Neji asked.

"Gennō the trap master is famous for his victories at the battle of the Fire River and at God's valley. In both cases he blew up cliff faces and crushed everyone to death in the resulting rock slides. He's planning to crush the village! He's set all this up as a distraction, his real target is the hokage faces!" I explained.

"And you're sure?!" Shikamaru asked.

"Yes! The only victories Kagerō Village ever had were those two battlefields where that tactic was used, it was known as the inescapable trap. He's using a method he knows will kill us all." I explained.

"Naruto I want you to go up to the stone faces and look for the paper bombs. Everyone else go and look for the ones connected to this fuse. Hiko, you come with me to talk to Lady Tsunade." Shikamaru order.

I jumped down from the balcony to join the rest of them on the ground.

Time skip